In MI, warn people to avoid...

Status
Not open for further replies.
...this oil,as I got a good look at the bottle today. I have seen it both at the dollar store, and a few gas stations around here.

City Star oil : Comes in 5w30,10w30, 10w40, and I even saw an ATF (scary) I took on look at the back-no little cicle, and it was rated API SA. Ow...and I just saw a person pour a few bottles into an older Fusion...
frown.gif

Made by City Petroleum- Dearborn MI, 48124

Comes in a simple white bottle with a gray star.

Beware!

Last edited:
No worse then when I was in Walmart picking up oil and a middle aged woman was in there looking for a quart of oil for her car it was apparent she was completely befuddled as to what to get.

I finally asked her if she needed help. Car was a newer Toyota. I said get a 5w30, its either that or 5w20 the engine calls for but 5w30 isn't going to "hurt it" its your safest bet. I handed her a bottle of Supertech and said here's the cheapest they have that is what you need.

She looks at it for a second, looks at the price $2.50 something and says "This one's cheaper" picks it up and walks away with Accel straight 30wt non detergent.

Ughh.

Indeed it was cheaper. By about $0.20. But hey don't listen to the guy with a cart full of oil of several different brands and weights. He doesn't know what he's talking about.

Both of your posts make me cringe. I feel for the engines owned by the uninformed or "ignorance is bliss" consumer. Well at least for the purchaser of the straight 30wt its slowing getting warmer outside.

Seen it too people see this stuff and just by it not knowing the API is waaay out of date and puts there engine in jeopardy,i don't know how they can legally sell this [censored] oil!

I see the same with the Dollar General Store Brand motor oil. It sits on the shelf right next to PYB, Castrol and name brand oils. No certification or designation of the DG oils of various weights. Just the following description.... "For all engines and motors". same with the ATF fluids. Buyer beware.....

There must be a lot of this out of spec oil on the market in bulk vats that finds it's way into discount Quick Lube stations. I suppose this oil is delivered by tanker truck and just mixed and blended with whatever in in the store existing barrels and bulk oil tanks. Labels and names, on the barrels, at the Quick Lube places may not tell the whole truth of what the Barrels contain.

Last edited:
Mongo, unfortunately, you're probably right and it's really kind of scary. Just yet another reason to do it yourself. If i had to have it done by a "professional" I take my own oil, filter along or go to my local new car dealership service department. Thats not always good either but I'm guessing a step up from the quick lube places.

City Star Oil? Hmmmm. Sounds like something City Wok would bottle using the premium base oils from their deep fryer.

"Welcome to City Wok, take your order prease"

I'm not sure I trust anything out of Dearborn. I get a bad vibe when I'm there (have some in laws that live there). This solidifies my (admittedly generally unsupported) dislike of the place.

Funny you made this thread, I was in Speedway last week and payed the clerk for gas. Then I decided to browse the store and found the "city star" oil. I found it quite funny they sell this garbage. Even the labeling makes it look awful... No price sticker on it, i was quite curious about it too.

Last edited:
All these "****ty" oils should be generally avoided for our newer vehicles with EFI and such but I do know they have specialty uses, such as older machines, pumps, etc.

Shame though that people out there just buy whatever oil and not realize what potential harm could be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back