Mobile DTE-18M equivalent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking for an alternative to expensive GrassHopper OEM fluid, which the owner's manual indicates Mobile DTE-18M as a non-GrassHopper alternative. What's an equivalent to the Mobile?? It has the following specifications:

DTE-18M
Hydraulic Fluid
ISO VG 100

This fluid is used in the hydro trans units on a lawn mower.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I should have looked closer to your original post. Schaeffer's does not have across for this fluid.

Originally Posted By: deeter16317
I should ask, does this appear to be a typical ISO 100 hydraulic oil???
Agreeing with salesrep, yes it does.

I'm in the industrial hydraulics environment, and of the large firm petroleum products, I consider Mobil DTE products among the better. There are 2 "series", their 1x and 2x products. The 2x are, in **MY** opinion, the best of the mass marketed, widely available, fluids out there. The 1x are, IMO, above average. IIRC, the trailing M indicates it is "mobile equipment" optimized. I don't know what that means, but it may be a low-pour point optimization.

I'm not slighting the specialty fluids; Amsoil and Schaeffer have huge followings and certainly perform well. I'm not slighting the synthetics of whatever chemistry; there is a place for them too.

In industrial applications, I've never used a 100 cSt fluid. I'd say that 98% of all industrial hydraulic applications are covered by ISO 32, 46, or 68. Hydrostatic systems, with optimized low pressure charge pumps, make the high viscosity satisfactory where in atmospheric open loop systems, we would often experience cavitation in cold weather.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back