FAQ - GC ( German Castrol )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any new deals going for GC? Was thinking about trying it out on a Mazdaspeed 3 that's had nothing but PP 5W-30 for ~90k... I'm curious if better HTHS will be a good thing for this DISI turbo engine.

I see Autozone has a 5qt jug and Fram Toughguard on sale for $27.99, but not sure if it's GC in my area...

Also, was the Noack % ever determined/found for GC?

Thanks QP, just what I needed to hear. There's a user in that thread also using GC 0W-30 in his 'speed 3, so looks like it might be worth a shot.

Looks like Castrol has (finally) updated their data sheet and is now providing some useful information. Even they list the industry standard HTHS testing method, the spec from the previous test method is listed.

http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_internet/castrol/castrol_usa/STAGING/local_assets/downloads/p,q/pds_syntec_usa.pdf

Originally Posted By: vinu_neuro
Looks like Castrol has (finally) updated their data sheet and is now providing some useful information. Even they list the industry standard HTHS testing method,

I just find it hard to believe that the HTHS for its 0W30 grade (GC?) is only 2.9
shocked.gif

Originally Posted By: 21Rouge
Looks like Castrol has (finally) updated their data sheet and is now providing some useful information. Even they list the industry standard HTHS testing method,

I just find it hard to believe that the HTHS for its 0W30 grade (GC?) is only 2.9
shocked.gif

Good job reading the thread. FAIL

Originally Posted By: simple_simon

shocked.gif

Good job reading the thread. FAIL

Wow...what's the point of that comment?

I hadn't read the previous several pages of this 50 page thread but instead focussed on the recent post re the new "Power Technology" PDS. Rereading this Castrol PDS I see the word "min" after HTHS cp. I hope this is the worst error I make on this board
smirk.gif

shocked.gif

HTHS for GC has to be minimum 3.5 or it wouldn't make A3 specs...

Originally Posted By: dkindig

HTHS for GC has to be minimum 3.5 or it wouldn't make A3 specs...

Thanks but then as probably mentioned in the other thread this HTHS # as shown in PDS is essentially useless as in writing it contradicts the A3 spec. (Is the 2.9 just the min requirement to be a 30wt?
21.gif
).

Last edited:
Yes, it has to be at least 2.9 to be that viscosity. All the PDS is saying is that it meets or exceeds the minimum.

Originally Posted By: outrun
Mobil1 and other Castrol Syntecs are not true synthetics.

That either baseless or negligent slander against ExxonMobil.

Mobil 1 SS has a PAO carrier oil. Domestic Castrol Sham-Tecs do not.

Are you an independent poster or employed by another party?

Not all Mobil 1 products are 100% PAO base oil, only a few.

A lot of Mobil 1's are being made with a group III / IV mix like the 0w-40 and the 10w-60

The MSDS will let you know, although from my own experience the US MSDS's are a bit cagey about letting you know what is in them.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Originally Posted By: BobFout
Why does the Canadia PDS show HTHS of 2.9cst?

Could it be that this isn't *German* Castrol but maybe USA made Castrol Syntec 0W30?

US Syntec didn't meet any Euro specs, just API and select few engine ones. The oil Vinu linked to meets *some* Euro specs, just ACEA and VW, not BMW or MB, so it's not the normal GC as we know it.

ALSO, that HTHS test is not the normal ASTM test.

This is the kind of crosstalk that makes me wonder, still, after reading 31 pages of this thread, what is German Castrol? Some references say HTHS is 2.9. Some say 3.5. I looked at the PDS on Castrol's US site, and they don't even list HTHS or Flash Point. If this oil is so outstanding, why don't they post the specs? I searched the Castrol UK site, and I found this spec sheet for Formula SLX:
http://datasheets.bp.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/0/EC479052BF4A9A6F802577ED00480ADD/$file/BPXE-85KNNG_0.pdf
Might this be the stuff we know as German Castrol in the States? The problem is, this spec sheet dates back to 2003, and there certainly have been changes to the formulation since then.

I searched the German website, and found the spec sheet for SLX Professional Longtec:
http://datasheets.bp.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/0/C77D6A12D87B276D802577ED004A9A13/$file/BPXE-85KSC6_0.pdf
This has the proper 100C viscosity of 12.2, and shows HTHS of 3.5, but measured by the ASTM-D4683 method. Also, the Flash Point is only 212C. At least this sheet dates to 2007, which was after the changeover from Green GC to Gold GC.

Also on the German Castrol website is the spec sheet for SLX Professional Powerflow BMW LL04:
http://datasheets.bp.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/0/2C00764F01EEFFF0802577ED00480CC6/$file/BPXE-85KPQ6_0.pdf
This also has a high 100C vis of 12.3, but unfortunately does not list HTHS. The Flash Point of this oil is 238C, which is much higher than the other SLX Professional. Also, the TBN is 7.0, and only 0.7% SA. This sheet also dates to 2007.

Another "Heavy 30" on the German Castrol site is SLX Professional Powerflow C3:
http://datasheets.bp.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/0/8F1D53351A02CF29802577ED004A9D86/$file/KHET-87XC3L_0.pdf
This stuff is probably not so wonderful, as it appears to be a low-SAPS formulation.

I even found a Green GC on the site, SLX Longlife II:
http://datasheets.bp.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/0/E41E149AB72737FD802577ED00480C48/$file/BPXE-85KPG2_0.pdf
But don't get excited, its 100C viscosity is only 10.1, so it's not a "Heavy 30".

The Germans really seem to like the "Heavy 30" concept, some of their Edge oils also have 100C viscosity of ~12.2. But the flash points are low.

You can search the UK TDS's and MSDS's as well bud, despite the massive R&D dept being here in England all our Castrol is shipped in from Germany.

Essentially Castrol that is made in Germany is of a higher quality that that made in the US, it should really be called Euro Castrol because Germany supply Europe with Castrol.

Originally Posted By: Koz1
Can you go Amsoil long with this oil?
Say 15-20,000 miles.
Thanks.
I didn't see anything about TBN.

If you want to go long you will need to do uoa's to keep an eye on it's performance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back