Oil recommendation - 2010 Mustang GT 4.6L ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. 2010 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L V-8 315 hp (6 qt capacity)
2. Owner's manual recommends 5W-20
3. Live in East Central Missouri
4. Car is driven a couple times a year on long trips but the rest of the mileage is short trips (less than 25 miles). This car is occasionally driven hard.

Purchased in May 2010 and currently has 4,xxx miles on the odometer. I'm going to guess the annual mileage is going to be somewhere around 6,000.

Oil changed at 1K and at 3k with Motorcraft 5W-20 synthetic blend and a Motorcraft filter.

Oil and OCI suggestions, please.

Thanks

Royal purple 5w20... There is a thread on 4.6 cam using RP a while back and it looked AMAZING.. The beloved M1...uuuuhhh not so much

If you have a warranty be sure to remain within the Ford OCI and use oil that meets Ford specifications until it is over (unless that is not an issue in your circumstance).

Otherwise, Pennzoil Platinum or Ultra and MC filters are a good combination. My 5.4L really likes Ultra (at least the UOAs say so).
wink.gif

Syn 5W-20/0W-20 of your choice, and once a year OCI.

If yopu do more than 7500 miles/year, change at 7500 to keep warranty.

Originally Posted By: DrDusty86
Royal purple 5w20...

Does RP meet Ford specification? I only ask since if he has a warranty it could be an issue. When I look at the PDS, I do not see the Ford specification mentioned:

Royal Purple PDS

On this side of the big pond Castrol recommends EDGE 0W-30, MAGNATEC 5W-40 C3 and MAGNATEC 5W-30 A3/B4 for Mustang 4.6 2005 and onwards.

Mobil recommends Mobil 1 ESP Formula 5W-30, Mobil Fuel Economy 0W-30 and Mobil Super FE Special 5W-30 for same use.

I have never understood the craze for XW-20 oils - they don't even exist on the shelf here.

I ran a 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis 4.6L on that Motorcraft 5W-20 with 5K OCI's to 200,000+ miles and it didn't use any oil. Of course, it was 90% interstate mileage (daily driver). Hit two deer with it. The second one "took it out".

Still, I'm not 100% convinced that Xw-20 is better than Xw-30.

I use Motorcraft 5W-20 and a Motorcraft filter on my fiancee's 2007 Mustang GT with the 4.6L. She bought it used last year with 6,900 miles on it and I have only changed the oil once since she got it. She plans on changing every 5,000 miles or one year, whichever comes first. The car only has around 9,500 miles on it now so its only a fair weather driver. Its an awesome car though and I'm not even a Ford fan.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: kballowe
This car is occasionally driven hard.

5W-40 Valvoline Synpower is what I'd run in it.

OCI every 6 months or when the oil color gets dark; whichever comes first.

Originally Posted By: Finn
On I have never understood the craze for XW-20 oils - they don't even exist on the shelf here.

And there lies the reason why 20 grade oil is not recommended on your part of the planet.
smile.gif
OP stick to what you've been doing, Ford tested and knows a 20 grade oil works in your engine! Their warranty covers that engine too.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Wow really? What kind of recommendations are those.

5k or 1 year with a 5w-30 synthetic! Which is what the engine builders would probably agree on. If you want to dump the oil sooner, thats your prerogative, but please research the correct weight for your engine, as 5w-20 is probably not going to offer you the best protection, and a 5w-40 would not be the first choice for a car that is not driven hard all the time.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Wow really? What kind of recommendations are those.

5k or 1 year with a 5w-30 synthetic! Which is what the engine builders would probably agree on. If you want to dump the oil sooner, thats your prerogative, but please research the correct weight for your engine, as 5w-20 is probably not going to offer you the best protection, and a 5w-40 would not be the first choice for a car that is not driven hard all the time.

The engine builders agreed on 5W20 in the OPs application, and back it up with a warranty, and billions of miles logged. Unless the OP plans on modifying the engine or drag racing I'd stick with 5W20.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

The engine builders agreed on 5W20 in the OPs application, and back it up with a warranty, and billions of miles logged. Unless the OP plans on modifying the engine or drag racing I'd stick with 5W20.

If that's the case, why are we here? If the people can just look on the oil fill cap to get the recommended
viscosity, why are we here? If all they need to do is read the owner's manual, what do they need us for?
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back