82 Dodge Aries with only 37k miles...good vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
i had an 82-83 dodge 400.basically an upscale k-car.bought it for 2500$ in the 90.it's main problem was the feedback carb and a smog pipe that was clogged which caused the catalytic converter to soot up bad when i ran it on regular(i replaced the carb twice with remanned units,and had a burnt valve twice(long story)).i drove it for years before i sold it to a friends girl friend.she was promptly tricked out of it by an unscrupulous mechanic.
it had good power 0-45,once you hit third gear accel slowed .it was comfy ,i'm 6-2 and 260 lbs at that time and had no problem with long trips in it.
if the car "speaks" to you go ahead.you'll have a vehicle different than most on the road with moderate economy 19-22 around town and mid 20's hiway.that is what mine got with the converter problems.if i had taken the converter off it probably would have gotten a few mpg better.parts will be cheap.

100 miles a day in a 30 year old car that was hit or miss on reliability even when it was new? And wasn't driven much in those 30 years?

No thanks.

I have had a bunch of fuel injected Turbo Dodge cars, 7 to be exact. They were pretty good. I liked most and loved a couple.
Having said that. Skip this one with the carb, big pain in the ba.....

A 1982 K-Car with only 37k miles?

In my book, that's become a collector car - how often do you see them?

I'd buy it, and preserve it....I'm quite serious.

Cars like this are deceiving. Even though they are low mileage and kept in a garage for most of their life, they are still aged and material like the plastic, vinyl and even paint has been breaking down.

It has been my experience that the moment you make a minty 20+ year old car a daily driver and exposed to UV light and temp extremes, the aging process catches up real quick and in 3+ years, it shows it's true age.

Originally Posted By: Hootbro

It has been my experience that the moment you make a minty 20+ year old car a daily driver and exposed to UV light and temp extremes, the aging process catches up real quick and in 3+ years, it shows it's true age.

I've seen that too. For one reason or another, someone's lovingly stored and protected classic-to-be gets pressed into daily service for a couple years, and it gains all those years back in a hurry. Not sure why.

I would pass too, old cars with low miles are headaches in my experience. My first car was an 1982 Cavalier I brought from my aunt in 1994 it had 28k on the odometer, garaged kept, looked new. When I started driving it every day it seemed every month something broke,or failed on it. Cars are ment to be driven, when they sit around to much things go wrong

Originally Posted By: Superbuick96
I would pass too, old cars with low miles are headaches in my experience. My first car was an 1982 Cavalier I brought from my aunt in 1994 it had 28k on the odometer, garaged kept, looked new. When I started driving it every day it seemed every month something broke,or failed on it. Cars are ment to be driven, when they sit around to much things go wrong

True..I hear more people complain about low mileage cars then high mileage cars..The lower the mileage generally the worse it for a older car.

I would much rather get a high mileage car at a good price that has been serviced regularly then a very low mileage car.

Originally Posted By: kendrickson
I am looking for an inexpensive vehicle (under $2000) for my 100 mile round-trip commute to work.

IMHO ONLY if you just want to spend 2000K bucks for a car and have to do a 100 mile commute everyday your best bet would be a Police Interceptor..It may not be as fuel efficient as the 2.2 Aries but you will be able to get around 26 MPG on regular fuel on your commute and it will be a very low maintenance car if you get one not beaten to death...Plus it is a safe car and overall comfy.

I would check with the Pennsylvania State Police and see where their cars go once they are done with them....Maybe you can find a nice take home well maintained car before it goes to auction.

My friends kid picked up a 2002 Police Interceptor for 2200 bucks awhile back...It was a former supervisior car from the M.D.P.D. with 90K miles on it...Besides a few dings here and there the car is just fine and everything works and even has ice cold a/c....His car was serviced every 3K miles by fleet.

For 2200 bucks I thought that was a pertty good deal.

Just IMHO only.

Originally Posted By: CROWNVIC4LIFE
Originally Posted By: kendrickson
I am looking for an inexpensive vehicle (under $2000) for my 100 mile round-trip commute to work.

IMHO ONLY if you just want to spend 2000K bucks for a car and have to do a 100 mile commute everyday your best bet would be a Police Interceptor..It may not be as fuel efficient as the 2.2 Aries but you will be able to get around 26 MPG on regular fuel on your commute and it will be a very low maintenance car if you get one not beaten to death...Plus it is a safe car and overall comfy.

I would check with the Pennsylvania State Police and see where their cars go once they are done with them....Maybe you can find a nice take home well maintained car before it goes to auction.

My friends kid picked up a 2002 Police Interceptor for 2200 bucks awhile back...It was a former supervisior car from the M.D.P.D. with 90K miles on it...Besides a few dings here and there the car is just fine and everything works and even has ice cold a/c....His car was serviced every 3K miles by fleet.

For 2200 bucks I thought that was a pertty good deal.

Just IMHO only.

Maybe not a bad idea at that...I just saw a Toyota Yaris on I-95 that was literally squashed like a bug. I could only tell what kind of vehicle it was by the one remaining tail-light.

If you are looking for a retired police CV, get one from a non rust belt state. I actually had a former PA state police detectives car. While mechanically sound, it has serious rust issues on the frame, motor area and body. They like to throw a cheap "Earl Sheib" paint job on them and mask the body rust before going to auction.

Also, try to get a admin type CV car and not a daily patrol car that has had druggies and others peeing, barfing, spitting and pooping in it. Also, avoid former K-9 cars at all cost.

293404_7e76a73c43f74448868af5ec21ab88ca.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back