Is this a Mobil 1 issue or ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2006 Corvette with 6.0 and 22500 miles had developed a pretty loud clack noise after cold start and would go away during warm up.Past two weeks. Its just about a daily driver. Sounded like one lifter. Its had Mobil 1 once a year or by oil life monitor. This oil/filter was done in July and had about 5500 miles on it. I put a pint of MMO in it. Drove it about 140 miles. No noise on cold start next two mornings. None. Chevy dealer owed me a oil change.Had that done today.

Last edited:
shorten the oci a bit sounds like a little varnish in the lifters to me, or you could try a better oil like PU and see if it comes back

Originally Posted By: electrolover
shorten the oci a bit sounds like a little varnish in the lifters to me, or you could try a better oil like PU and see if it comes back

You said " try a better oil like PU". How so?

If you have one lifter clacking it may have been a spec of something in the lifter or you may have a weak lifter.(Bleeds off over time) If all the lifters clack then perhaps it would be the oil, but it would have to be severly diluted which I doubt is your case. Sometimes an oil filter will weap off and cause a noise on cold start. That happened to me once 3K into a oil change. I put on a new filter and that was the problem.

Originally Posted By: tig1
Originally Posted By: electrolover

x2 please explain??

if it's had M1 all along W/O any problems why suspect the oil now? sounds like other issues..

I'm aware of oil filter drain back lifter noise. This was not that. This was 1 lifter clacking until warm up. I'm sure it was varnish or trash. The MMO cleared it up. But I would not expect that out of Mobil 1 and a factory filter. I have been a Amsoil guy in everything but this car. I was really surprised to have this happen.

Originally Posted By: hounddog
I'm aware of oil filter drain back lifter noise. This was not that. This was 1 lifter clacking until warm up. I'm sure it was varnish or trash. The MMO cleared it up. But I would not expect that out of Mobil 1 and a factory filter. I have been a Amsoil guy in everything but this car. I was really surprised to have this happen.

To start with, M1 oils are noted for keeping engines very clean. Also MMO could not clean a lifter out as quick as that. Amsoil is a quality oil like M1. Is that what you put back in it?

It could have been anything sticking that lifter OR oil gallery,,a piece of crud breaking loose etc,never had lifter issues caused by tarnish,sludge,varnish from Mobil.

The noise was there 2 plus weeks every morning. 140 miles of driving with a pint of MMO in it and no more noise. I have nothing to compare it to. Had noise, added MMO drove abut 140 miles. No noise next two mornings.Change oil today. The Chevy dealer owed me a free oil/filter and I let them.They used Mobil again of course.

Last edited:
The noise was there 2 plus weeks every morning. 140 miles of driving with a pint of MMO in it and no more noise. I have nothing to compare it to. But thats what went down. The Chevy dealer owed me a free oil/filter and I let them.They used Mobil again of course.

The MMO thinned the oil..... Maybe the wrong weight was put in?

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

That oil had been in use since July, and had 5500 miles on it. The MMO was added right at the end of the OCI, and now the OP has fresh M1 in there
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Quote:

He probably meant, "an oil I like better" lol.

lol.gif
yep.

seriously could it be a filter issue or maybe the olm is pushing it? i was reading somewhere that 5w oil gets thicker on cold starts over time, but it also said syn was not as bad as conventional.

Originally Posted By: hate2work
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

That oil had been in use since July, and had 5500 miles on it. The MMO was added right at the end of the OCI, and now the OP has fresh M1 in there
smile.gif

Depending on whether the oil sheared or thickened however... My point of thinning would still have merit. If the thicker oil (assuming it didn't shear) was causing a temporary lifter stick, and the MMO thinned the oil, curing that....

I changed my 1998 Corvette from Mobil 1 to Castrol Edge, it was quieter and lead readings (UOA) went down to 1/3 of number.

I switched to Edge due to increasing lead readings with Mobil 1.

BTW, I use NAPA GOLD or WIX oil filters (same filter).

Last edited:
If oil level is correct, then its time to pick a new OCI or new oil or new filter brand.

Change the filter and top off the Mobil1. If noise doesn't go away, time for a new oil.

Edge, Synpower, or Ultra are easy choices. Or, try one of the other flavors of Mobil1 like extendedperf or himileage.

Visit your local store and grab a different oil, like Green Earth Technologies G-oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back