Best gun oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a new Benelli Nova to add to my pump collection. What Kind of oil and solvent is best for the Benellis?
Thanks,
Dustin

Hoppes #9 is a solvent, not a lube. Rem oil is ok, but too thin for some applications. I use FP-10 and Slip 2000

Let's not get sidetracked with a bunch of favorite name brands, overall CARE is what's called for. I took a kid shooting years ago. He said he had his own 22. I said 'let's see it'. He brought it out & there it was, fairly new with a light coat of rust almost everywhere. Before we went shooting I got some supplies & we went over gun care. I think he had put the gun away damp at some time earlier.

I never leave a damp or wet gun, of course I hunt in wet conditions at times. Depending on how wet a guy needs to dry the gun off then do a light oil rubdown with a cloth, maybe off the stock if it's bad. If a gun is stored for a while it should have a light going over once in a while. This applies after it has been cleaned previously,wipedown & lightly oiled patch down the bore. For longer storage move over to 'RIG' grease.

All the fancy rods & cleaners/oils are of little use if not used diligently. Sorry but I'm a stickler for gun care & don't accept 'a little rust' anywhere.

I have Break-Free, with teflon, some Sheath, mil-spec 'cold temp' small arms & a few others on the bench. Then there's the Hoppes #9,Shooters Choice, & Montana Extreme in the 'bore cleaner category. JMHO

Originally Posted By: 05ChevyI5
Hoppes #9 is a solvent, not a lube. Rem oil is ok, but too thin for some applications. I use FP-10 and Slip 2000

#9 is an amazing solvent. It stinks real bad but it works. As long as you give it proper time to set on the metal. I had my gas pistons from my SKS and AK sitting in that #9 for about 2 days and I was able to effortlessly wipe that carbon stain right off. I wasnt able to do that no matter how hard I worked on it before I let it soak in #9. REM oil, is ok at best. I have a can and it lubes meh, cleans ok, protects? idk thats where it falls apart since its gone 2 weeks later.... I have some winchester break free clp I got from walmart and that is a good lube. I dont know how well it works as a cleaner but its a really nice lube. My mosin nagant bolt glides with it.

Joe,
Yes, call me anal, but I care for my guns and vehicles better than most people around here do with their kids..which is the SAD truth... I have many riffles and Pumps and care for ALL of them
Dusty

Originally Posted By: DrDusty86
is REM oil and Hoppes #9 solvent good combo?

Actually not super bad, but make sure the Rem oil is the good variety with VCI's. It comes in a pump bottle. But you will need a heavier oil and a light grease.

I like Amsoil MP for a light-medium spray lube. Amsoil Spray grease. A drop or two of Ballistol.

Hoppe's #9 is a all time great powder solvent.

Miltec TW-25B

Synthetic suspension that's very light and stays where put.

Factory issue on all SIG's.

Milspec too.

Last edited:
To clean the bore- WD-40 & Hoppes #9
To clean the action- WD-40 & Hoppes #9
Lubrication- WD-40 & Rem Oil
Corrosion prevention- WD-40
Long term storage- Hoppes Gun Grease

I agree on Hoppe's #9 for cleaning. Been around the block and tries a bunch and still for a quick after shooting bore clean, #9 is still tops.

I got two small tubes of TW25B. Seems slippery and all, but it truly is a very light grease, white and milky like. Way lighter than even an #1 automotive grease. I'll still use Amsoil red spray grease for slides and the like.

For general spraying and soaking Amsoil MP is hard to beat. Better than WD-40 IMHO.

Originally Posted By: Lost1

Got to slightly disagree with you. WD-40 isn't much of a lubricant. It's got plenty of solvent in it so it cleans pretty well. It displaces water (hence the "WD" (Water Displacing) in WD-40) so it good for things that have gotten wet, but lubrication isn't its strong suite. If you are using Remington oil after WD-40 then I suppose you're ok on lubrication but it is an unnecessary step.

I make a version of "Ed's Red" with a half-can of Berryman B-12 fuel treatment that is refilled with Dexron III ATF. It dissolves all firing residue and leaves a light coating of oil behind. To wipe over the gun I use straight ATF. If you have a slide, I would recommend synthetic brake grease, in VERY SMALL AMOUNTS.

Originally Posted By: engineerscott

Got to slightly disagree with you. WD-40 isn't much of a lubricant. It's got plenty of solvent in it so it cleans pretty well. It displaces water (hence the "WD" (Water Displacing) in WD-40) so it good for things that have gotten wet, but lubrication isn't its strong suite. If you are using Remington oil after WD-40 then I suppose you're ok on lubrication but it is an unnecessary step.

I agree that WD-40 isn't the best lube in a high-stress area, but I've been using it for over 40 years in low-friction/low-stress areas (parts of the action) and for corrosion control and it works great for me. Hoppe's & Rem Oil handle the rest.
smile.gif

You are going to get a ton of opinions on solvent and oil choices. Just about any oil designed for protection of metal surfaces would work fine. I have used Outers gun oil for more than 35 years without experiencing rust on my firearms. Lately I have been using EEzox for wipe down of external metal surfaces and Nyeoil II for internal oiling. Nyeoil II is a PAO based synthetic lube

For solvent, anything that can remove plastic wad fouling and lead should be fine. Shooters Choice is a commercial solvent that will clean lead, copper, powder, and plastic fouling.

If economy is your goal, you can whip up some Ed's red solvent which works very well on powder fouling and plastic fouling. It will also loosen lead deposits if allowed to sit, but it is not as fact acting as Shooters Choice. Still if you factor in price, Ed's red is hard to beat

Originally Posted By: engineerscott

I agree that WD-40 isn't the best lube in a high-stress area, but I've been using it for over 40 years in low-friction/low-stress areas (parts of the action) and for corrosion control and it works great for me. Hoppe's & Rem Oil handle the rest.
smile.gif

Hard to argue with success. You're right, in low stress areas the lubricity of WD-40 is probably fine. I just get a little sensitive about people who use WD-40 as a general purpose lubricant when it really wasn't designed for that task, but obviously it is working as you are using it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back