Napa / echlin ignition coils (coil packs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work for a Napa store group. Every Echlin coil part number is different. Some are China, Mexico, or US. Napa also sells Delphi which is OEM GM. They are made in US and Mexico. Best way to tell is to call a local store and have them look on the box. Please remember that Echlin was two quality levels-Echlin(premium) and Mileage Plus(value line).

Dave

Originally Posted By: bmod305
I work for a Napa store group. Every Echlin coil part number is different. Some are China, Mexico, or US. Napa also sells Delphi which is OEM GM. They are made in US and Mexico. Best way to tell is to call a local store and have them look on the box. Please remember that Echlin was two quality levels-Echlin(premium) and Mileage Plus(value line).

Dave

So if it's a Delphi it'll say "Delphi" on the box??

Yes the box will say Delphi-black and white box with usually a red label. Delphi unlike AC Delco isn't a reboxer; they make the majority of their products. They are an OEM supplier to many major car companies.

Dave

Thanks for your info Dave
11.gif

I went to napa and looked - had a made in china sticker on the box. Echelin must be hiding out as a brand name- I can not find a web contact or 1 800 number.
Earlier, when I contacted The web contact for napaechelin - the guy said he "thought" they were US made in Iowa - must be Iowa china

Last edited:
Echlin is a NAPA brand, just like Rayloc, Balkamp, Belden spark plug wires, etc.

Try a dealer that sells "Standard" ignition parts.

Keep calling around, I'll bet you can't find any aftermarket made in USA.

Originally Posted By: bmod305
Echlin is owned by SMP (Standard Motor Products. SMP bought them in 2003.

Dave

echelin does not seem to have any custermer contact- it seems to be thru napa only.
I went to napa stre, parts for my car were from china so I did not buy

Napa's ECHLIN line is high quality, so even if they are made in China, use them with confidence. ECHLIN products come with a 1 year warranty as well.

In March 11 I got a skip at idle, went to mechanic a NAPA affiliated garage, he changed out #5 coil pack with a NAPA coil and then it caused the check engine lite to come on, which was not on before , they could not get it to stay off after clearing it until they went (at no extra cost to me) and got a Nissan OEM coil from the dealer. THey said "the chinese sometimes use smaller diameter wires that cause the resistance to be off and the computer turns on the check engine lite.

But the car ran OK while the light was on? This is just a taste of what is coming for the fate of car owners in the future: where except at the Stealership will you ever be able to get your Leaf or Volt (or the NEW MotherNature Mommy-VAN)worked on?

"Aftermarket Parts" will be extinct. There will be fewer and fewer independant shops able to work on a car because all the diagnostic software will be proprietory.

If things don't change it will probably (eventually!) become illegal to work on any car that has pollution control equipment "for environmental protection" reasons without a license and certification...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back