Looking for a "sticky" additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a non-automotive application that I want to try a "sticky" oil. The current problem is that the current oil applied to the surface (Supertech 10w-30) runs off due to gravity after a while.

Grease would stay put, but is unsuitable for this application due to it's propensity to attract and mix with pollutants in the operating environment.

I understand that most of any liquid will eventually run down a vertical surface. I just want something that is slower than typical motor oil.

I was thinking of (gasp!) Lucas Oil Stabilizer since I remember their goofy gearbox display and how that stuff stuck to the plastic gears.

The surfaces to be lubricated that are in contact with each other are phosphated steel and anodized aluminum.

If you are not worried about it foaming, I also think Lucas would be a decent candidate.

But, does Lucas snot have any additives?

Find one that does. STP is one that had ZDDP...

I'm not concerned about foaming or an additive package, although I have no problems if it has anti-foaming properties or a good additive package.

I'll look into STP as well.

Maybe some chain saw bar & chain oil? It has good "tackifiers",
grin.gif
very sticky stuff.

Originally Posted By: Stuart Hughes
grin.gif
very sticky stuff.

+1

Originally Posted By: Stuart Hughes
grin.gif
very sticky stuff.

X2, summer grade is the thickest.
Also, you can use non drip undercoating oil if you want thick and stick:
Monarch005.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: daves66nova
So what is this "non-automotive application"? Maybe with more details,we can offer better suggestions.

Secret squirrel stuff.
wink.gif

I'd rather not say, not because it's confidential or proprietary, but because I want some answers from people who are thinking outside the box. Looking at your profile, there's a very good chance you're familiar with the item anyway.

For example, the chainsaw lube idea is a good one as it made me think. I completely forgot about the motorcycle chain lubes. They might be too waxy, but I can probably borrow a can from someone. Same for chainsaw lube.

Potential for loss is low. If I use the completely wrong lubricant and cause a catastrophic failure (highly unlikely), I'd be out only around $200 in parts and about an hour's worth of time.

smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: strat81
So what is this "non-automotive application"? Maybe with more details,we can offer better suggestions.

Secret squirrel stuff.
wink.gif

I'd rather not say, not because it's confidential or proprietary, but because I want some answers from people who are thinking outside the box.

smile.gif

Grrr!!! now you got me wandering what it is! When will we find out what it is?

Grrr!!! now you got me wandering what it is! When will we find out what it is?

Check your PM.

Originally Posted By: electrolover
how about a dry lube like spray graphite, would that suit the application?

No. Part of the role of the lubricant in this situation is to suspend/move pollutants from the operating area. A filter is not used in this application, however.

In extreme cold, a dry lube might be appropriate given limited use of the device.

Skil worm drive lube - white tube from home improvement stores. Thinner than grease, thicker than 10w30, and crazy sticky. or mix it with the supertech. How's that for outside the box

For turning 19" shafts on "dry" bearings (25-30 tonnes on them), once we get a film of STP or Morey's between the shaft and the journal, it remains there for days, provided the shaft is turned a bit every few hours.

Morey's is like Lucas, but has an antimony based AW additive in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back