Ford Racing oil filters general info

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is simply a cut-and-paste from my post in the FL820S thread resurrected from the dead, but some of you might find it useful.

Here's what Ford says about the Ford Racing oil filters in the Ford Racing Performance Parts 2008 catalogue, page 116:

Ford Racing high-performance oil filters
Sold as case of 12

+ Synthetic-Polymer/Cellulose-Fiber blend media
+ Heavy-guage base and canister for higher burst strength and impulse fatigue resistance
+ High-quality silicone anti-drain back valve
+ Non-stick sealing gasket for ease of installation and removal
+ Long life with standard and synthetic motor oils
+ Up to 50% more filtering capacity than standard filters
+ Improved filtering efficiency
+ This technology is only available through Ford Racing Performance Parts

Motorcraft part number: Performance filter: Part number: List price/case

FL300.................: CM-6731-FL300 (each)..: M-6731-FL300 (case of 12).: $165.00 [$13.75 each]
FL1A..................: CM-6731-FL1A (each)....: M-6731-FL1A (case of 12)...: $165.00 [$13.75 each]
FL820S...............: CM-6731-FL820 (each)..: M-6731-FL820 (case of 12)..: $165.00 [$13.75 each]
FL400S...............: CM-6731-FL400 (each)..: M-6731-FL400 (case of 12)..: $165.00 [$13.75 each]
FL1995...............: CM-6731-FL1995 (each): M-6731-FL1995 (case of 12): $239.95 [$20.00 each]
FL784................: CM-6731-FL784 (each)..: M-6731-FL784 (case of 12)..: $239.95 [$20.00 each]
FL299................: CM-6731-FL299 (each)..: M-6731-FL299 (case of 12)..: $239.95 [$20.00 each]

So it appears that you could run these on the street for at least as long as the standard Motorcraft. The specs seem to answer many of the concerns some expressed earlier in this thread. Note the claim that the Racing filters have "50% more filtering capacity"—but no mention of difference in flow compared to standard. In addition, all these have silicone ADBVs, hence no need to add the "S" as some of the standard Motorcraft filters do to indicate it. Therefore, this could be an option for those who want (example) an FL1A but with the better ADBV material. Too bad the cost is ridiculous. K&N is cheap by comparison, and the Amsoil EaO series is pretty competitive here. It's not clear whether the Racing 820 filter would really give much advantage compared with the FL820S.

Oddly enough, the catalogue gives what appears to be the part number for individual filters, but then says in a footnote to the chart: "Check Ford Racing Distributors for single filter part numbers." Eh? No dimensions or other specs by filter number are given.

I was interested in those for my Ranger, but nobody sells them locally. The only way I could get them is through the mail, and the shipping cost (on top of the retail price) makes them not seem worth it.

Roush Yates sells them for 12.33 each or 159.00 for a case of 12
latemodelresto.com also 12.99ea. That's about the best price going now.

Being a 'racing' filter, there's bound to be greater flow through the filter. Even the K&N have increased flow through over other common filters.
Racing filters typically have a thicker shell and stronger components internally since they often face 70-100 lbs of oil pressure.
I doubt they can say they filter as well as a more restrictive filter though.

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
Racing filters typically have a thicker shell and stronger components internally since they often face 70-100 lbs of oil pressure.
The Ford 4.6L DOHC motor does 100 lbs on a cold start...according the the gauge in my Marauder. I run the standard MC FL820S and have never had a leak or a ballooned shell or any indication that the standard filter is not up to the job. Never heard anyone else say it, either. I don't see a lot of value in using the racing version on a street motor, unless it's heavily modified.

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
Being a 'racing' filter, there's bound to be greater flow through the filter. Even the K&N have increased flow through over other common filters.
I doubt they can say they filter as well as a more restrictive filter though.

There have been a few threads in the past that have actually shown the flow vs psid graph of the Ford racing filters, and also the filtering efficiency which was surprisingly good.

You can search for those threads and maybe find what I'm talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back