Mercedes SLK 230 recommended fluids?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I'm surprising my wife with a 2001 SLK this spring.

We've talked about it for years, and its on its way!

Whats the deal with Mercedes recommended fluids? Are they really THAT picky? Redline has said their 75w90 will work, AMsoil doesnt have a listing.

Redline and Amsoil both say their Universal ATF will work.

I'm a bit concerned about using the wrong stuff.

I've called the dealer, they seem to want to to bring it in for some reason.
smirk.gif

any thoughts?

Great weekend car for sure.

Mercedes does have their own oil and fluid specs, but there's a huge selection of stuff that meets it. Just stick with something that meets their spec and you'll be safe.

Is this a 2001 or 2011?
I only ask because you say "its on its way".
If its brand new i would probably let MB service at least while its under warranty.

I did maintenance on my buddy's 01 SLK 320.

Most people use 75W-90 for the differential. Any synthetic in that grade should work fine.

The jury is still out what can be used in the transmission. I say use dealer fluid only. Though rumor has it that for the Chrysler Crossfire (same chassis and powertrain) the dealers specify ATF+4.

Trans fluid change is tricky with regard to refilling to the proper level. The level must be check when the fluid is warm (80°C), not hot, and is checked with a special dipstick (not supplied with the vehicle) that measures the fluid level from the bottom of the pan. You can cheat by measuring all the fluid that comes out and refilling with the same amount, plus any clingage losses.

You bought a good model. Despite the horrible reputation Mercedes has for vehicle reliability, for some reason this model doesn't suffer the same fate.

I checked two different sources, including mbusa.com. The 2011 SLK does not offer the 230 engine in the US.

Yep i see that also,i don't know where they got got that 2011 info in the article either.

Edit:
Quote:
2011 Mercedes Benz Slk230 ‘ 4.6-liter single overhead-cam V8 is smooth and quiet,

Something definitely wrong here.

Last edited:
Have you read through the MB Bevo site? They have all the specs, approved manufacturers, etc. Id say that diff fluid is your last worry. Just make sure viscosities are correct. Engine oils are readily available in 229.3 and .5 specs. PSF Id use the MB stuff that is correct as all manufacturers have been moving to more and varied specs in time, including the CHF fluids. You may be able to find the right stuff (e.g. 11.S for example if applicable) at a Napa or similar.

They are not that picky.

Find out what is required and use an equivalent.

Practice a sensible maintenance interval.

Hi guys,

sorry for the long delay.

thanks for the replies. It is a '01 not an '11.
the car is coming from edmonton to our place in two weeks.

Thanks for the recommendations. The only thing I'll stick close with then is the transmission fluid, I'm a beleiver in OEM ATF.

I'm not sure about the coolant, but I'll have to check their records to see if it even needs it yet.

I'll keep you posted.

FYI, I told my wife last night! Shes on quite the high!
Shed never ask me for this in a million years. Shes practical, and really smart with our money. That why this felt like the right thing to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back