2010 HondaAccord ATF choices?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honda recently switch ATF fluids for 2011. They've been using their in-house ATF Z1 but switched to a new version dubbed ATF DW1.

Has anyone used other alternative ATF fluid? I checked Royal Purple and they have the MAX ATF which is compatible and Redline has their D4 ATF which is also compatible. I'm wondering if I use one of these would I void my warranty?

thanks!

I did a fair bit of digging through other threads before I did an ATF change on my '92 Accord a few weeks ago, and "use Honda ATF" seemed to be a common theme. I did two drain and fills with DW1, and haven't had any problems.

What does your Accord specify in your owners manual? Z1 or DW1? If it's Z1 you can use alternative that specify it without voiding your warranty, even though Honda strongly recommends using their fluid. I have yet to see aftermarket fluids that claim to meet DW1 (doesn't mean they aren't out there, just that I haven't seen any yet). If your car specifies DW1 and you use an aftermarket fluid that says "meets Z1" but not DW1 then you will most likely void the warranty.

If your wondering if because Honda's recommending DW1 in all cars including the previous Z1 that using an alternative fluid will void your warranty, it will not.

A checked another site and it says that the new DW1 ATF will be the factory fill for Honda in 2011 and that it's backward compatible.

I guess I'll go with the factory stuff but the dealer wants around $10 for a bottle which was why I was debating going with a top notch synthetic like Redline or Royal Purple.

Thanks for the responses

I would never use the self important over priced lubes any dealer sells.
It's all based on the assumption that the factory lubes are supreme quality products.

Originally Posted By: 90Notch
I guess I'll go with the factory stuff but the dealer wants around $10 for a bottle which was why I was debating going with a top notch synthetic like Redline or Royal Purple.

Thanks for the responses

I hate to say it, but your dealer is price gouging. List price is not much more than $7. Bernardi sells the DW1 for just $6.06 / qt. Find a different dealer, or consider online purchases.

Vic

I've been using Amsoil's ATF in my Honda's for years without any issues and hopefully lots of benefits. I don't know if DW1 is more like a fuel-efficient version of Toyota's/Ford's new ATF or not. Amsoil doesn't specifically say yea/nay on compatibility of DW1 transmissions with their fluid yet.

Id be wary of "compatible" ATF. All these specialty specifications must be tread carefully. Id go OEM.

Quote:
There's a lot of stories in Honda car forums of nonHonda ATF in Honda transmissions giving problems. Switching to genuine Honda ATF cures them.
There are lots of stories of only Honda ATF Z1 in Honda Acura transmissions and then they fail. Happened to me. Changed that lousy Z1 about every 10 thousand miles. No towing. Failed at about 70 thousand miles. Slipping badly in third gear. I no longer trust Honda on transmissions or transmission fluid.

Yeah I've heard about honda transmissions failing prematurely but I've also heard them run just fine for the life of the car. I guess it's a cointoss?

I'll stick with the factory stuff I guess.

Its not a coin toss. Honda transmission failing on non-OE fluid are stories akin to seeing Bigfoot.

Originally Posted By: thrace
Quote:
There's a lot of stories in Honda car forums of nonHonda ATF in Honda transmissions giving problems. Switching to genuine Honda ATF cures them.
There are lots of stories of only Honda ATF Z1 in Honda Acura transmissions and then they fail. Happened to me. Changed that lousy Z1 about every 10 thousand miles. No towing. Failed at about 70 thousand miles. Slipping badly in third gear. I no longer trust Honda on transmissions or transmission fluid.

Exactly! Seems as though if the tranny is going to fail, it's going to fail!
I too have read of others being diligent with their Honda ATF Fluid Changes and the tranny still failed.

In my past Honda's, I used anything with the "DEX" written on the label and never had auto tranny issues. Can't answer for todays Honda's.

The DW1 is full synthetic from what my dealer told me and from what I have read around ye olde 'net. I am using it in my '05 Odyssey with unnoticeable results.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Its not a coin toss. Honda transmission failing on non-OE fluid are stories akin to seeing Bigfoot.

What? I can't tell you how many times I've posted re: honda ATs and aftermarket fluids. Otherwise flawless CR-V AT developed permanent shift problems after swapping it to a universal fluid, gradually starting and getting really bad 2-6 months after the swap. Did the swap around 60-70,000 miles IIRC.

(and in the same vein, M1 universal + LG black was fine in my accord, with drop in MPG).

Failures DO happen with some non oem fluids. They don't with others. And there may be other factors (build differences?) as well.

The honda AT's I've run amsoil in have had zero problems.

There are obviously some variables that come in to play, but it ain't a bigfoot sighting...

M

If someone choses an inferior fluid for the local $1 jobber lot, then they deserve a failure.

I've never seen a failure with a Honda transmission attributed to using a recommended ATF.

Guess what, a majority of failures happen while using Z1.

And, its bigfoot sighting. If you have a garbage transmission, garbage maintenance interval, driver neglect and abuse, its going to fail. So, enjoy blaming the fluid. I know otherwise.

Originally Posted By: oilboy123
I would never use the self important over priced lubes any dealer sells.
It's all based on the assumption that the factory lubes are supreme quality products.

this sort of misguided logic is just as silly as those who say "I'll only use the dealer-provided fluids". Use a fluid that is 1)suitable for the application, 2)high quality and 3)decent value.

Number one trumps all, and if it were my car I'd use DW-1.

I'm confused: you and I are usually on the same page.

If someone choses an inferior fluid for the local $1 jobber lot, then they deserve a failure.

Agreed.

I've never seen a failure with a Honda transmission attributed to using a recommended ATF.

I am wearing the t-shirt. Unhappy honda trans after using quality, non-honda, "recommended" fluid. Assuming by "recommended" that it's not honda recommended, but 3rd party recommended. 3rd party multi vehicle atf (maybe it was valvoline.... been several years?) actually gave a better shift feel, but within 2 months AT behavior became to change and at 6 it was almost undriveable (swapped back to Z1 and it came 85% back to normal but never fully recovered).

Guess what, a majority of failures happen while using Z1.

Ok, maybe I misinterpreted what you meant by bigfoot sighting... thought you were saying that any failure on a non-oem fluid is just heresay or not-provable. [/quote]

And, its bigfoot sighting. If you have a garbage transmission, garbage maintenance interval, driver neglect and abuse, its going to fail. So, enjoy blaming the fluid. I know otherwise.

Maybe I'm tired, but this statement confuses me... almost seems to contradict what you are saying above. Also rather harsh?

All of my ATs get "severe service" or more often intervals. That CR-v had a strict Z1 diet until I got adventurous. It was never the same. I used BITOG-well-regarded fluids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back