Spring maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two years ago woman and me bought a pair of Specialized hardrock mountain bikes. Last year the shop did a free tune up for spring. Last fall we decided that we ride enough to buy a pair of road bikes, Trek 1.2 and woman got the Trek lexa 1.2. They will get the free tune up this spring since they are new.

But I will need to do a tune up for the mountain bikes this year. Twenty years ago I tore down my BMX bike and painted the frame and completely rebuilt the bike so I have some knowledge about bikes but never had anyone to teach me about general maintenance. Plus I'm sure there are lots of differences between a BMX bike and the newer mountain and road bikes!

What do I need to do for a spring tune up? Or general maintenance overall? Things to check over?

I want to build a stand to work on the bikes, think with 4 bikes now a stand is needed! I've been looking at some plans online to build a stand.

Thanks for any advice keeping these bikes in shape!

When I was younger and rode a lot, I used to completely disassemble my bike, clean the parts, regrease, and put it back together. I did this sometimes every year or every few years.

Well I don't think they need to be completely torn down and rebuilt, they only have one year of riding on them. Was thinking more on the lines of cleaning some things and lube and maybe some adjustments, just not exactly sure what needs attention.

clean & lube of course.

check the chain for wear

check the brakes pads & disc (if you have disc), replace if necessary.

Adjust the lines for the brakes & derailleurs if necessary.

clean, adjust and lube anything that has bearings and is serviceable - meaning NOT a sealed assembly.

clean and lube the chain, replace if need be. If you do need a chain and you don't have Campy stuff use a SRAM chain. Shimano chains need new pins everytime you break it for maintenance.

Check and adjust the brakes, derailleurs and lube the cables. I happen to like Penetro 90 for this job, Tri-Flow works decently well.

True the wheels, service the hubs if need be.

If you have a volunteer-run or community-run bike workshop, they are an invaluable resource. They have the tools and help you need to do this stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back