2002 VW Jetta 1.8T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need some help figuring out what oil I should run.

The car has 105k miles, is chipped for more HP runs 93 pump gas if it matters. I am a spirited driver but don't usually rev higher than 4k rpm. Very rarely redline it. I drive 5 days a week about 20 miles to work each way with 90% of it being highway (65-70 mph). And about 30 miles total on weekends in mostly stop and go. Live in Orlando, FL so temp here is mostly above 80 in summer and usually 65-70 spring and dropped to high 40's at night couple of nights in winter. Currently it has Mobil 1 5w-40 in it.

The car asks for VW 502.00, ACEA A2 or A3, API Service SJ 5w-30 or 5w-40.

I found a list of oil that meets this specification here: http://www.my-gti.com/2534/

OCI right now is about 7k, but does not really matter to me, can be 5k or 10k if recommended by the oil and does not matter if I order online or retail as I'd rather have quality then convenience/time.

Also the car has a catless exhaust and I see a cloud of white smoke coming out when the car sits without moving for a little while. It's definitely not blue and not grey/black.

I am open to any and all suggestions.

Thanks.

Last edited:
In layman's terms, that's Castrol GTX? I'd like to have full synthetic if possible. Also what about 0w-40?

Quote:
I am a spirited driver but don't usually rev higher than 4k rpm.

WOW. I get most of my rides to 4K+ just getting on the main road. Spirted driving? Bang it off the redline, and keep going.....

That white smoke is moisture, warm it up, rev it up, it wont hurt.

Originally Posted By: Kosmatik
Also what about 0w-40?

It would work, too.

What's wrong with the M1 that you're currently running?

Originally Posted By: Kosmatik
Ah, thanks! Would 0w-40 be better? Since I am located in FL?

GC is basicaly a 0W40 very shear stable. Given the price of gas today, I cant think of a better oil for you

Well there's nothing wrong with M1, just expanding my horizons sort of. Hmm, would there be moisture if I've been driving it for about 20 mins, come to a red light and still see white smoke?

Going to try that CG, due for an oil change just about this weekend.

Spirited compared to everyone else here, I do live in florida...

You might like Rotella Synth 5w-40 or Mobil 1 High Miles, 10w-30 or 10w-40.

Since you're open to suggestions, try some 2-cycle oil in the fuel at 500:1 (3oz 10g) Add some extra the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back