Stumbled across some info on rotella T6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil guru's...I had emailed shell rotella's tech dept a while back with a question wondering what base group the T6 was? I had heard rumors of a group III "plus" or something like that supposedly "better" then a typical group III...my response from them was what I had expected...on how they cannot disclose this info due to being 'proprietary info" and how they are a "full synthetic" ....with that being I am surprised that they allow the company "auto-rx" to post that they are INDEED a group III oil. If you look on the "auto-rx" website under what oils to use during the cleaning phase...they list all group III oil's including shell. For some reason they state that these group III oils are better then higher group oils for use with this product. Not trying to start a "group war" now....but am just trying to clear the air for some others who were wondering the same. I also am not bashing this product, as I currently am using it myself...a UOA in the future will tell me how it's holding up. Perhaps shell tech dept should just answer people how they want when asked... do they really believe if you know what base oil they use that you are gonna some how copy them? After all we do see VOA's/UOA's from them! -Peace

Hi.

It is common practice not to disclose detailed technical information.

However, that does not stop Auto-RX from buying the oil and analyzing it themselves.

And 90% of the "full synthetics" on the market are Group 3/+ oils anyways; highly purified petroleum products i.e. alkanes.

It doesn't mean that they are bad in comparison to esters and stuff, but it's the main reason why they can be sold for 5 bucks a quart versus 10.

For any given application, it will do the job. Even the group 2 oils have come a long way and are highly refined and very robust, possessing high viscosity index numbers and shear stability at higher temperatures.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
According to the MSDS, Rotella T6 is 100% PAO base stocks, with mineral oil used only as a solvent for the additive package, but then it's only an MSDS.

MSDS's are not accurate. None of the recent ones I have seen for Shell products have been accurate.

ARX works best with group II or III oils due to the chemistry package of the metal cleaners in the ARX and it's carrier medium, working with the host oil.

That does not means that ARX is in a postion to tell us which oil base is best for normal use. It only is able to tell us which oil group it performs duties with in the most efficient manner.

Question: I sent Johnny a message on this, but I will ask you all maybe someone knows... Is the T6 5W-40 the reason why Pennzoil has not come out with a HDD 5W-40 diesel oil of its own?

As good a Pennzoil Platinum and Ultra are! I recon the HDD 5W-40 would be a very Robust Diesel Oil.

Johnny answered my question... I didn't know that Shell and Pennzoil didn't have anything in common with each other...My Ignorance.

Well, they do have one thing in common, Shell owns Pennzoil and both are formulated and blended in a Shell blending facility. They do use different base stocks and additives packages. Pennzoil does offer a 5W-40 European Formula automotive oil, but they do not offer a 5W-40 HDEO. That will be reserved for Shell and the Rotella brand.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
... They do use different base stocks and additives packages.

And yet both brands are well respected for excellent performance. If one were to look at 15w-40 Rotella and LLG, they both do an outstanding job. Different formulations; same result.

This is why I don't understand how people get so tied up in which oil has what additive and to what level, and they seek the "best" oil, as if there is only one. There are many roads to the same end. Most of today's oils are blended with competency, and they will more than do the job put to them, especially with the AR OCI BITOG approach factored in.

We all understand that there are some conditions that are going to significantly shift a product group, based upon application. No company is going to successfully market a low end group II with minimal add pack for an extended OCI platform. PAOs with heavy dosing are needed for a reason. But within that subgroup, the nuances are not as important as the end result. And for "normal" use, these type products are not warranted. Normal PCMOs do fine in normal applications. And the debate of which one has more Ca or less Mg or more TBN, etc, is just plain silly when someone is going to OCI at OEM intervals (or, probably way before that ...)

If there were only "one best" formuation, every VOA would be identical regardless of brand/grade. But the market supports a LARGE multitude of options and competition, yet the UOAs show us that many times these nuances simply don't matter. Products are marketed to their intended audience; products are manipulated to meet the demands of those who seek them. Product differences are often grossly overblown when it comes down to daily consumption and use.

VOAs and UOAs; it's the difference between knowing the starting roster of the basket-ball team, and knowing the final score. (Hence, the recent Badger/Buckeye game over the weekend ...) You can bet on predictions, but the end result is what counts.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ponch
Oil guru's...I had emailed shell rotella's tech dept a while back with a question wondering what base group the T6 was? I had heard rumors of a group III "plus" or something like that supposedly "better" then a typical group III...

Its been discussed on here before... Rotella T6 is based on Shell's XHVI base oil. Its a Group III derived by processing slack wax and performs as well as, better in some respects, than a Group IV. It is indeed sometimes called "group III+" base stock.

But if you're running T6 you'll never need ARX, so I'm not quite sure why they mention it on their website... :p

Originally Posted By: NavyDood
Email Shell and ask if T6 can be marketed as a synthetic outside of U.S. Territories. Bet the answer is no.

I bet it can. It isn't your typical Group III product. It is made from a petroleum byproduct, not directly from the petroleum itself. A lot of the worlds supply of PAO is made from a petroleum byproduct as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back