AC Delco Ceramic vs Akebono Pro-ACT Ceramic pads

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will be servicing the brakes on my 2005 Suburban Z-71 with 88k miles.

I have narrowed the pad choice down to OEM AC Delco Ceramic pads and Akebono Pro-Act Ceramic pads.

The Akebono's are about $18 more expensive, so not that much of a differance.

I will either re-surface the rotors or replace them if worn down too much.

Plus I will be flushing out the brake fluid with fresh Dot-3 with my friend's Motive Products bleeder kit.

Your thoughts and experiences please..

Thanks..

I changed out the brakes in my 06 silverado 1500 with the Akebono ceramics a few months ago. Previous pads were the oem originals. I really like the Akebonos. I also got new rotors because the originals were warped. As you can guess I got a big improvement in braking performance. These pads stop well. Its been maybe 5k miles. I would buy them again.

If you can determine what the friction letters are on the sides of the pads, it might sway your opinion.
They will be like EE, EF, FF, and so forth.
It is like oil. The first is the coefficient of friction for warm, and the second for hot . G>F>E Normal street pads are EE, EF or so.

Originally Posted By: Islandvic
I will be servicing the brakes on my 2005 Suburban Z-71 with 88k miles.

I have narrowed the pad choice down to OEM AC Delco Ceramic pads and Akebono Pro-Act Ceramic pads.

The Akebono's are about $18 more expensive, so not that much of a differance.

I will either re-surface the rotors or replace them if worn down too much.

Plus I will be flushing out the brake fluid with fresh Dot-3 with my friend's Motive Products bleeder kit.

Your thoughts and experiences please..

Thanks..

get oem pads. All my aftermarket pads either squeak or rust and scrape in the morning till they warm up.

Use synthetic brake fluid . I bought some at advance and was pleasantly surprised how much more solid the pedal felt.

Put Akebono Euro Ceramic pads and OEM type Brembo rotors on the front of my 2001 Saturn LW300 at least 20k miles ago. Absolutely no noise or vibration and virtually no dust. I'd buy them again. I only replace rotors when doing brakes; your just asking for problems if you resurface them.

I had Akebono on my 2005 F-150, they were great, I really liked them. No noise, very low dusting.

According to Rock Auto online Akebono is the OEM producer of many AC Delco DuroStop Ceramic pads.

AC Delco parts have turned into a "whodunit" mystery of parts origin. All we know is that it is in our once trusted blue and white box. An easy way to search is compare pictures and actual parts of Delphi, MOOG, Spicer, etc to the AC Delco parts. Often times you may literally see thier production stamps on them
wink.gif

Finally, Wagner Edge and Thermoquiet pads are also long lasting and easy on your rotors also. Thermoquiet pads gave me an unheard of 44,000 miles which is the longest I have seen on any of our car histories. Granted this may also be the fact I am getting older and my driving/braking habits have radically changed since my earlier and more brash days
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: chad8

get oem pads. All my aftermarket pads either squeak or rust and scrape in the morning till they warm up.

Use synthetic brake fluid . I bought some at advance and was pleasantly surprised how much more solid the pedal felt.

Not all aftermarket brake pads make noise. In my case, aftermarket Akebono pads made less noise than the OEMs which did squeak a little in the morning. There are different materials, different quality levels, and different designs which make generalizations like this meaningless.

Rotors do rust when sitting for a day or so (or even overnight, especially if it is humid or rains) but that is normal. One or two applications of the brakes will remove any surface rust (possibly with a small amount of noise).

As far as I know, all brake fluid is synthetic. Not all of it is marketed as synthetic, but it is all very similar if not identical. The difference you noticed was most likely due to getting the nasty old fluid out that may have been contaminated with water. Any fresh brake fluid from a sealed container would have had the same result.

As a word of caution, do not put DOT5 brake fluid in a system designed for DOT3 or DOT4. While DOT3 and DOT4 are compatible, DOT5 is a completely different formulation that could damage systems not designed for it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back