Why the iPad is not a success

Status
Not open for further replies.
A user's reply to this article http://www.pcworld.com/article/188219/ipad_who_wants_it_anyway.html is very good:

In fact, this is NOT all the computer most people will ever need. Most people aren't tech savvy enough to know how to deal with web mail. There is no native e-mail client. You can't multitask, so even if there was an e-mail client, you can't run it and a browser (to click on the links in an e-mail) at the same time. When it comes to apps, most people don't know how to go about getting new ones (or that they even exist), and many people won't give out credit card information on the Internet.

A netbook is about all the computer many people will ever need, barring the small keyboard and limited screen size. MOST people, though, need the full capabilities of a laptop or desktop for the simple fact that they need to print, scan, take pictures, video-chat, IM and do it all simply, easily and at the same time.

How you think this is a quantum shift in how people interact with computers is beyond me. The trend, and demand from consumers, has been toward MORE functionality - not less. They want convenience. They want portability. They want to be able to do what they want to do with one device - not rely on learning five different devices (and BUYING five different devices) in order to do what they want to do. Rather than giving them more, Apple gave them less. They gave them an iPod on it's iPeriod: an iPad. Bloated in size, limited in features and generally unpleasant to be around because it doesn't want to do all the things you want to do.

I'm certain you feel strongly about this product, but as an IT expert with 25 of experience years in the field, who works with PEOPLE, rather than corporations, I have an up-close and personal knowledge of what the 'average user' needs. I am not some Apple apologist, I am not a Microsoft fan. I believe in helping the people find what works based on THEIR needs and budget. And I know a [censored] sight more about the subject of the average user's needs and wants than most tech pundits.

Based on my expert opinion, and from the multiple stories I've read about this device from sources both praising it and bashing it, I have come to the conclusion that MOST people will be ill served by it. It inherently lacks functions and features that people have come to desire in their computing devices and MOST people do not need a fragile, limited, lay-about-at-home, inconveniently sized personal entertainment media device. Some may find it the perfect fit for their lives. And for those who need it, AND have the budget for it, I'll recommend it.

But of my 382 active clients, I can't currently think of ONE who actually fits those two qualifications.

I think the only thing that can make or break the iPad are the applications themselves. If appropriate apps come out that somehow find the right use for it, it will thrive. Otherwise...

Yeah, applications are going to be the make or break. Just saw an article yesterday (on anandtech I think) that amazon is having problem with publisher refusing to accept 9.99 per ebook and amazon yank out the publisher entirely, but back off after realizing that 1/6 of all titles would disappear and look bad on amazon.

I'd think some small time author or publisher would consider the app store model of selling books rather than going through a publisher that refuse to deal with non greatest hits, or authors who have ideas but couldn't past the "risk test" of publishers, and authors who put up free teaser chapters to their books and then ask you to pay a dollar per chapter if you want to continue reading, something like that.

Regarding to Netbook, yes, they are what most people will ever need, if Microsoft didn't stop selling windows 2000. Netbook is basically the same as a Pentium M or Pentium III at around 1GHz or so, and I'm still happily use my Pentium M laptop from 6.5 years ago, with windows 2000.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
Netbook is basically the same as a Pentium M or Pentium III at around 1GHz or so, and I'm still happily use my Pentium M laptop from 6.5 years ago, with windows 2000.

Hmm... my netbook actually feels noticeably faster than my old laptop with P4 2.6GHz bought back in 2003. Both running XP Home on 1GB RAM.

I would have liked to see an OSX netbook. Something like the clamsheel asus eee, which would have a similar look as the air, just far smaller.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I would have liked to see an OSX netbook. Something like the clamsheel asus eee, which would have a similar look as the air, just far smaller.

Get a Dell Mini 10 (or is it 10v, I forgot, one of them let you put hackintosh on it).

Id really like the "air" form factor for travel, but at the same time not spend the $$$. The dell seems thicker/heavier, plus it is a dell... not my cup of tea for reliability...

So, it has been over a year since this thread was started and the iPad currently has over 75% of the market share in the tablet segment. Did any of you expect this to happen? What are your thoughts on the iPad 2?

I would guess that is because most tablets are really laptops that happen to be able to turn into a tablet. With the extra weight and cost that comes with that.

Incase anyone wants to know more about the processor in the ipad

http://www.maclife.com/article/feature/ipad_cpu_all_you_need_know_about_apple_a4

with a little copy paste a small part of the article
The fruits of Apple’s 2008 acquisition of P.A. Semiconductor finally saw the light of day when Steve Jobs unveiled Apple’s iPad. Underlying the sleek user interface and minimalist hardware is the Apple A4. The A4 is a system-on-a-chip (SoC) running at 1GHz. No mere CPU, the A4 includes integrated 3D graphics, audio, power management, storage and I/O interfaces.

The A4 is actually built around a CPU core based on the common ARM Cortex A9 CPU, a 32-bit core that comes in several different flavors, with different numbers of cores. In typical cases, companies like Apple actually license the CPU design -- rather than paying $278 million to acquire the whole company! -- then are free to modify and integrate it as they see fit. It’s much different than the model for Mac desktop or laptop computers, in which the CPUs are wholly Intel products.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The Critic
So, it has been over a year since this thread was started and the iPad currently has over 75% of the market share in the tablet segment. Did any of you expect this to happen? What are your thoughts on the iPad 2?

Frankly no, I'm not surprised.

Probably tangentially related, but it likely conveys one of the ideas behind it's success.

For the most part, Apple stuff just works. My iPod mini STILL works since I got it Christmas 2004 (IIRC).

oilBabe has an iPhone 3G, and it just works. I've upgraded it a couple of times and you just plug it in, and it upgraded with a mouseclick.

My Samsung Captivate droid phone. Well you have to download a special program to upgrade the firmware, and no there isn't a version for 32bit Windows, so you have to find a 32bit Windows computer to perform the upgrade.

Then, you can't just plug it in, you have to select the mode of the USB port and you have to put the USB port into debug mode on the phone before the program will even detect the phone and begin the upgrade.

No I'm an IT guy and it was a little frustrating for me. So thinking about my MIL doing something like this and I'm thinking the iPhone (and by extension the iPad) is likely a more appealing path for many/most smartphone and computing tasks she might face.

I think people by Apple products for two or three reasons.

1. Cachet. They are seen as THE product to have.
2. It just works. Not to say they are error free. But the typical user is effectively shielded from the operations behind the curtain. You don't have to know anything about special USB modes, or anything like that.
3. First in the market, established in the market. Unlike some of their previous first in market attempts (Think Apple Newton) recently they've gotten it pretty well right the first time and so far have managed to stay in the lead when pioneering a new market segment. Time will tell if they remain the market leader, or if another will find a better way to do things.

So it's no shock to me at all that the iPad is a runaway success.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Incase anyone wants to know more about the processor in the ipad

http://www.maclife.com/article/feature/ipad_cpu_all_you_need_know_about_apple_a4

with a little copy paste a small part of the article
The fruits of Apple’s 2008 acquisition of P.A. Semiconductor finally saw the light of day when Steve Jobs unveiled Apple’s iPad. Underlying the sleek user interface and minimalist hardware is the Apple A4. The A4 is a system-on-a-chip (SoC) running at 1GHz. No mere CPU, the A4 includes integrated 3D graphics, audio, power management, storage and I/O interfaces.

The A4 is actually built around a CPU core based on the common ARM Cortex A9 CPU, a 32-bit core that comes in several different flavors, with different numbers of cores. In typical cases, companies like Apple actually license the CPU design -- rather than paying $278 million to acquire the whole company! -- then are free to modify and integrate it as they see fit. It’s much different than the model for Mac desktop or laptop computers, in which the CPUs are wholly Intel products.

That article is actually incorrect. I got corrected when I quoted it like you have.

Quote:
Apple A4 is based on the ARM processor architecture. The first version released runs at 1 GHz for the iPad and contains an ARM Cortex-A8 CPU core paired with a PowerVR SGX 535 graphics processor (GPU)built on Samsung's 45 nm process. Clock speed for the units used in the iPhone 4, iPod Touch, and Apple TV's have not been revealed.
The Cortex-A8 core used in the A4 is thought to use performance enhancements developed by chip designer Intrinsity (which was subsequently acquired by Apple) in collaboration with Samsung. The resulting core, dubbed "Hummingbird", is able to run at far higher clock rates than other implementations while remaining fully compatible with the Cortex-A8 design provided by ARM. Other performance improvements include additional L2 cache. The same Cortex-A8 CPU core used in the A4 is also used in Samsung's S5PC110A01 SoC.

I bought my wife one last year. For a simple consumer device, it's great...email, Facebook, but mostly for games.

The kids love the games on the iPad.

however, the games that the kids love most are Flash based games online. Apple is dumb not to offer flash support. The politics in Cupertino run deep. As a result, the kids will use PCs to access these games, removing the iPad from further use by consumers.

The iPad doesn't perform great with Javascript. Hopefully v2 will live up to the promises of much enhanced performance, and OS 4.3 will bring those enhancements to the iPad v1 and iPhones.

It's nice no doubt but I rarely ever pick the thing up to use it. More looking forward to an Android tablet that doesn't cost too much. The Barnes & Noble 7" droid-based unit is available, but it's performance wasn't anything to write home about moving graphics around the screen in PDFs. Further speed/development is needed to make the experience as nice as an iPad.

Verdict?

I'm keeping my Kindle
smile.gif

There is a reason why iOS does not support Flash. It alone can kill your battery life for no apparent reason other than some advertisement or developers' lazy programming. I run a 1.4GHz AMD CPU at home and I usually disable flash for things to run fine. Imagine what would happen when you do it on ARM with a small battery. Java is also badly designed for power consumption, running a translation layer in order to run native code on an architecture waste time and power, when you can run native and optimized code in a closed ecosystem like iOS with app store. It comes with inconvenient, but eventually the payoff would be great. Longer battery life, smaller size, cooler device, lighter, cheaper production cost, etc. Not everyone in the industry has the guts and marketing momentum to pull it off. So far only Apple and Microsoft can.

Modifying ARM processor architecture is nothing new. Marvell license only the instruction sets rather than the implementation as they have in house experts (from hard drive ASICs) to make it even lower power, PA Semi can. The biggest reason to use ARM rather than home brewing your new CPU has to do with not only the cost of making the chips, but also flexibility of using an already certified FAB and production, and already available development tools (compiler, debugger, simulation, etc). Those R&D cost can be dramatically reduced, and you can buy the best available on the most popular platform. I've developed on little known processor in the past and you just can't buy good tools because there's no market for the tools vendor to make money on.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
There is a reason why iOS does not support Flash. It alone can kill your battery life for no apparent reason other than some advertisement or developers' lazy programming. I run a 1.4GHz AMD CPU at home and I usually disable flash for things to run fine. Imagine what would happen when you do it on ARM with a small battery. Java is also badly designed for power consumption, running a translation layer in order to run native code on an architecture waste time and power, when you can run native and optimized code in a closed ecosystem like iOS with app store. It comes with inconvenient, but eventually the payoff would be great. Longer battery life, smaller size, cooler device, lighter, cheaper production cost, etc. Not everyone in the industry has the guts and marketing momentum to pull it off. So far only Apple and Microsoft can.

Modifying ARM processor architecture is nothing new. Marvell license only the instruction sets rather than the implementation as they have in house experts (from hard drive ASICs) to make it even lower power, PA Semi can. The biggest reason to use ARM rather than home brewing your new CPU has to do with not only the cost of making the chips, but also flexibility of using an already certified FAB and production, and already available development tools (compiler, debugger, simulation, etc). Those R&D cost can be dramatically reduced, and you can buy the best available on the most popular platform. I've developed on little known processor in the past and you just can't buy good tools because there's no market for the tools vendor to make money on.

Interestingly the Blackberry Playbook supports both Java AND Flash.......

How well does the Playbook support Flash and Jave? Great question considering the only people who really know the answer work at RIM. Simply "supporting" a technology and doing it well are very different situations.

For all the fuss some owners and certain media outlets make about Android's support of Flash, frankly... it sucks and is nearly unusable. Flash is such a non-factor in mobile devices, be it due to the large number of non-Flash mobile sites specifically tailored for the iPhone or the fact that 1ghz ARM-based processors suck at Flash, that Google didn't think it necessary for their first Honeycomb release to support it. If Flash support really made all that much difference and was that much of a selling point, Google would have made sure Honeycomb supported it out of the gate. Thing is, millions upon millions of iProduct owners have pretty much proved that Flash support isn't necessary for success.

RIM needs more than Flash support to make the Playbook a success.

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer
How well does the Playbook support Flash and Jave? Great question considering the only people who really know the answer work at RIM. Simply "supporting" a technology and doing it well are very different situations.

For all the fuss some owners and certain media outlets make about Android's support of Flash, frankly... it sucks and is nearly unusable. Flash is such a non-factor in mobile devices, be it due to the large number of non-Flash mobile sites specifically tailored for the iPhone or the fact that 1ghz ARM-based processors suck at Flash, that Google didn't think it necessary for their first Honeycomb release to support it. If Flash support really made all that much difference and was that much of a selling point, Google would have made sure Honeycomb supported it out of the gate. Thing is, millions upon millions of iProduct owners have pretty much proved that Flash support isn't necessary for success.

RIM needs more than Flash support to make the Playbook a success.

From what I've gleaned from first-hand accounts with testers as well as the vids from RIM, Flash works very well on it.

Of course this is also QNX.

Will it sell? That's a completely different question
wink.gif

BTW, Flash on the Samsung Galaxy tab I had for a week or two, which I had to mod to support OpenVPN and some other stuff, worked very well. No complaints.

You can support anything you want if you have enough battery power, weight, and heat.

But is it worth it? Is it worth making a tablet as thick as a brick if you can work around it? It is like an argument of, can a Motorcycle pull a 2 ton trailer up the mountain? Is it suppose to in the first place?

I've also read that the Blackberry Playbook battery life is HORRIBLE probably mostly due to Flash draining it. Flash is a battery killer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back