Looking for an over-the-counter transmission cleaner...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 94 Lexus transmission won't drive forward for 15 minutes, goes into reverse immediately. A person on-line suggested I buy Seafoam Tranny cleaner. I checked their site and it states will not harm seals. Any input on this will be appreciated.

Start a new thread with a little more information.
This thread is 5 years old.

What model Lexus?
Is it 4 wheel,AWD,RWD or FWD?
Any known service history?
Is the fluid level full?
Does it look red and clean or is it dark and burnt looking?
Once it does go forward does it perform normally?

I've had OK results with a solvent cleaner...jack up the drive wheels, add the solvent, run the engine for 15 minutes while shifting gears (brake the drive wheels to a stop before changing direction), drain, flush, refill the transmission. If the transmission isn't failing, this might work. If it is failing, nothing will work. I prefer Auto-Rx.

I am not a fan of ARX. But, I have to admit that it really does a good job in automatic transmissions.

Last edited:
I have no experience with ATF cleaners/flushers, but if I was going to try one out I would choose lubegard first. They have more experience in the ATF fluid maintenance business than any other company I can think of.

Originally Posted By: Loobed

I have no experience with ATF cleaners/flushers, but if I was going to try one out I would choose lubegard first. They have more experience in the ATF fluid maintenance business than any other company I can think of.

+1

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

+1

Ditto. +1. I put some LubeGard (red bottle) in with my ATF+4 fluid top off and filter change with the pan dropped. It certainly hasn't hurt performance and the torque converter symptoms I had haven't returned, yet.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint

+1

+2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back