Recommended change interval for rear diff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 30k and 2 yrs on the Valvoline 75w90 full synthetic in my rear diff (not LSD - 05 Tacoma 4x4 double cab). I drive primarily short trips and pull a small utility trailer on occassion. When should I change out the rear diff oil?

I agree with Bluestream... Something around those intervals. The front one should be considered as well, as its lack of use can mean additional moisture in the lube.

I chng the trans & diff fluids in all my man trans once a yr or 12k miles whichever come first.

Fluids are still fairly cheap.....gears are not.

\rlr

Last edited:
The first oil change is the most important, as Bluestream said. The diff will create the most metal during break in. By 5-10K that process is done, so getting all that iron out prolongs component life and slows oxidation of the oil (lots of wear metals in the oil increases the load on the additive package but also begets abrasive wear). 50K is a nice conservative number. On a truck that is used easily (diff temps below 225F) and doesn't have a limited slip that need a special additive (the LS additive increases the oxidation rate of the oil), I think you could go farther with a high quality oil. The opposite is true on a truck that tows or hauls to capacity alot. Sustained high temps increase oxidation.

There's really no advantage to short changes but past a certain point, without specific knowledge of the operating conditions and the oil, you are treading into murky waters. 50-60K is far enough but not too far so is a decent benchmark if you arent' going to get into periodic oil analysis and all that. In my studies on gear oil, here and elsewhere, it seems like a lot of gear oil can be run longer than it is. I'm mostly referring to maintenance-conscious people. With, "The Great Unwashed Masses," it's the opposite problem.

I better change the diff fluid in my girlfriends TJ. It's a 97 with 82k on it, I'm sure it's original.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Every 30k/2-3yrs is what I always recommended for all gearboxes.

I think op was talking diffys here...or are you grouping that with gearboxes?

Time is on your side.
But you chould start looking for sales.
Unless there is a problem , you can go another year or so and still be far ahead of the game.

A differential, manual transmission, automatic transmission, transfer case.... are all gearboxes.

Originally Posted By: ChuckBerry
What does your owner's manual say?

Maintenance schedule only refers to changing out limited slip diff oil, if equiped, at 30k. My truck does not have LSD plus using synthetic instead of dino. I changed out the original dino gear oil with valvoline full syn at 10k and ran that for 35k before changing that with the same valvoline.

Are you going to keep this vehicle for a long time? Or trade it in in the next two years or so? If the former (and I'm one of those that likes to keep a vehicle a minimum of ten years), I'd change the fluid every 36,000 miles or three years. However, if you are operating in a very wet environment or going through a lot of water, you might want to do it sooner. Make sure that the breathing ports are open and that hoses leading to them are up out of the way of water.

According to Toyota maintenance schedule, you should be changing front and rear differential fluids and transfer case fluid, if towing, at 15k intervals.

http://smg.toyotapartsandservice.com/guides.php?v=22&y=2005&int_id=1 (choose PRINT ALL INTERVALS to look at them all at the same time)

It gives no interval for replacement of differential fluid without limited slip under non-special conditions. Since you tow so little and what you tow is not heavy, I would not worry too much about it...maybe swap the stuff out at 60k as has been suggested, but I wouldn't do so until at least 100k miles.

What does your owner's manual say?

This is the last place to look. My Ford owners manual says differential is lubed for life. What a joke! Mine started to whine at 95K when factory fill was left in...

(Although Toyota takes preventative maintenance much more seriously than Ford)

Last edited:
No, it's the first place to look...what sort of service was your differential seeing? My Ford differential, as far as I know, had no service for the first 180k miles, it was giving me no problems whatsoever, but I decided to replace the current fill (that may well have been factory) with fresh synthetic to massage a little extra MPG.

My Ford saw service as a cop car in Kansas, and then used as a daily driver in New Orleans, and as far as I know saw no severe service (regular towing, high speed driving for long periods of time, etc.)

Originally Posted By: Shark
I better change the diff fluid in my girlfriends TJ. It's a 97 with 82k on it, I'm sure it's original.
Ya you should since the owners manual says to change the axle oils every 12k.

No, it's the first place to look...what sort of service was your differential seeing? My Ford differential, as far as I know, had no service for the first 180k miles, it was giving me no problems whatsoever, but I decided to replace the current fill (that may well have been factory) with fresh synthetic to massage a little extra MPG.

My Ford saw service as a cop car in Kansas, and then used as a daily driver in New Orleans, and as far as I know saw no severe service (regular towing, high speed driving for long periods of time, etc.)

No its the last place to look. Companies like Ford market their vehicles as zero maintenance, so when uneducated people buy them, they think they will save money as the vehicle does not need regular maintenance. Ford only cares that it last past warranty.

I would look for advice on this forum long before anything from Ford.

Where, exactly, has Ford marketed its cars as "zero maintenance"? Since a maintenance schedule was provided with my Crown Victoria, obviously Ford did NOT intend, nor market, the car as "zero maintenance".

I think some common sense needs to return about vehicle maintenance, even on an enthusiasts/DIY forum like this. All we have are the anecdotes of people convinced of their own correctness who have no obligation to prove their claims or liability if their advice, followed by someone, causes that person's engine to grenade.

Scratch a story about a failing vehicle part prior to recommended fluid change intervals and you will usually find a story of severe service in excess of what the maintenance schedule recommends.

The manual. It's the FIRST place to look.

Now, now ladies...you're BOTH pretty.

Seriously, there has been a disturbing trend in reduction of routine maintenance requirements by MANY manufacturers, not just Ford. Even BMW said their automatic transmissions were "lifetime" fill for a while, but have since gone back to 60,000 mile intervals. I admit that manufacturing processes and lubricant technology have both improved, but I still think the whole "lubed for life" and sealed transmission craze has gotten out of hand. The owner's manual for my cars says that unless the rear end has been under water, the fluid does not require changing. I say baloney.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back