de-icer windshield washer fluid storage

Status
Not open for further replies.
How long can these things remain effective? There is sale going on for them. It used to be close to 4 dollars a jug, but the going price is only 2.5 dollars. It is always nice to not have to run to the store when I run out.

I know the regular stuffs last a long time but not sure about the de-icer type.

Last edited:
The only problem that I have had storing windshield washer fluid has been with Rain X summer formula that for some reason contained no alcohol at all. If opened it would start to grow algae the next year if not used up. PITA find it too a few years back here in Ohio and the winter formula had 35% alcohol which would flash evaporate on a mild summer's day.

Would the winter formula from Rain-X flash evaporates if not opened. My 3 cars still have the winter stuff in it, full to the rim to because I generally keep mine top off as a good habit. I am not the type that would go out and clean the windshield when I can get the car does it on its own.

I still have 2 jugs not opened and 1/3 jug opened. Last winter was so bad and I didn't have enough so I bought extra this winter, which only had 3 inches of snow total and barely much cold weather that requires washer fluid.

Originally Posted By: M1Accord
How long can these things remain effective? There is sale going on for them. It used to be close to 4 dollars a jug, but the going price is only 2.5 dollars.

$2.50 is a sale? -30°C fluid here is regularly under $2/gallon. Seriously, the 'winterized' regular blue fluid cuts ice just as well as the fancy fluid, but neither nearly as well as a good scraper.

I've got tightly capped washer fluid in the garage from 2 years ago. Still works great.

Originally Posted By: M1Accord
Would the winter formula from Rain-X flash evaporates if not opened.

No. If it did, how would they get it from the factory to the store?

Personally I don't care for Rain-X fluid, just like Rain-X windshield treatment it leaves a film and makes my wipers chatter.

Originally Posted By: scurvy
Personally I don't care for Rain-X fluid, just like Rain-X windshield treatment it leaves a film and makes my wipers chatter.

Something else is going on. I've got a MkV, too, and I have had no problems with the Rain-X products. It's worked great on two OEM MkV windscreens, in fact. I had to have the original windscreen replaced, after the glass was etched by a roofing adhesive that got sprayed all over the car.

Originally Posted By: rshunter
mething else is going on. I've got a MkV, too

I have MkIVs. Rain-X never worked well past a week for me in my Volvo, the now-wife's Pontiac, Scion or either VW. In fact, the only two places I liked it was on my motorcycle helmet face shield & on the Plymouth Voyager van... and there only because the windshield wiper linkage was broken for 2 months!

Maybe my technique isn't proper, but I always get wiper chatter about a week after applying it - right when the film develops.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: scurvy
Originally Posted By: rshunter
Something else is going on. I've got a MkV, too
I have MkIVs. Rain-X never worked well past a week for me in my Volvo, the now-wife's Pontiac, Scion or either VW. In fact, the only two places I liked it was on my motorcycle helmet face shield & on the Plymouth Voyager van... and there only because the windshield wiper linkage was broken for 2 months!

Maybe my technique isn't proper, but I always get wiper chatter about a week after applying it - right when the film develops.
21.gif

Hmm, I've experienced no issues on the MkIV, either. Or any of my other vehicles for that matter. Perhaps it's a case of too much of a good thing. I haven't found it necessary to use the stand-alone product for quite some time now. Simply using the Rain-X washer fluid will progressively create the desired water-shedding coating.

I didn't realize just how significant the effect was, and how much I'd become accustomed to it, until I had the new "unseasoned" windscreen installed in the MkV. Yikes! What a difference it was. I was so glad to see that water-shedding effect return...

A good cleaning of the windscreen (and those wiper blades) with some alcohol would be my first step. Then, just let the washer fluid do its thing.

In a closed jug, it will last for many, many, many, years...... I've got some that is over 10 years old, and is still fine. Heavier class jugs will last longer, without the plastic degrading and breaking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back