Hy-Tran Ultra -V- Chevron AW 32

Status
Not open for further replies.
Could someone please help out here.
We own a 1993 Case 580 SuperK Construction King Backhoe/Loader
Are we correct in assuming that these two hydraulic oils are the same ? Living in Alaska this unit will be used throughout the winter months moving snow-loading sand. I am worried that the Chevron AW32 doesnt meet Case equipments specs.
ALSO COULD SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN HYDRAULIC OIL AND HYDRAULIC FLIUD.

Thanks

the back of the jug/bucket should list the specifications it meets.

If its not a trans/hydraulic fluid I can almost guarantee it does not meet hytran specs.

What hytran spec is given for your equipment?

not sure what the technical difference is, but usually fluid refers to a common sump with the transmission. And oil, is just your basic hydraulic oil.

that's kind of the question, Case call's for Hy Tran Ultra, the local Chevron dealer here is telling me that AW 32 is the same thing but when I told the local Case dealer this he disagreed with the Chevron dealer. I am trying to figure out just really what is what ---don't want to cause myself a lot of grief going through changing the fluid 25 gallons @ $114.00 per 5 gal pail (only) to find out later I could of used the AW32 and less than 1/2 $ of the other.

Hy-Tran Ultra and AW32 is nothing the same! Hy-Tran is the OEM version of a "universal tractor fluid". Hy-Tran and UTF's usually cover transmission (automatic), differential (where these two systems share the same "sump", and can be used as hydraulic fluid as well.

If you were to use AW32 in the transmission area of a backhoe or tractor, you will be looking into buying a new backhoe in about a day. You will have ruined the transmission and torque converter.

If you were going to put AW32 into the hydraulic system only, that might have some merit, but if it isn't approved by the manufacturer, don't do it. I really don't think AW32 is approved for use anywhere on a Case backhoe.

You might be able to get some universal tractor fluid from your oil dealer that meets Case specs. If your oil dealer is telling you AW32 is the same as HyTran, he is dead wrong. At this point you will have to double-check and triple-check anything the oil dealer is telling you because he doesn't seem very knowledgeable as to fluid interchange at all.

You say your approved Hy-Tran is going to be about $570 vs. half for incorrect AW32. I'm guessing your backhoe is worth about $30,000. You are going to risk $30,000 to save $285?

By the way, check the specification for your transmission. The Case backhoe we have at work uses "TD-4" or something like that for the transmission only. The hydraulics use Hy-Tran. AW-32 is not used anywhere on it.

Quote:
Hy-Tran Ultra and AW32 is nothing the same! Hy-Tran is the OEM version of a "universal tractor fluid". Hy-Tran and UTF's usually cover transmission (automatic), differential (where these two systems share the same "sump", and can be used as hydraulic fluid as well.

Hy-Tran Ultra is a zinc (ZDDP) free, 6.5 cSt fluid, with excellent water stability up to a volume of 1% water and has excellent copper corrosion results.

Most AW hydraulic fluids of ISO 32 are 7.5 cSt fluids and contain a ZDDP additive package.

Quote:
HYDRAULIC OIL AND HYDRAULIC FLIUD.

If you do a search on fluid you will find previous answers, but here we go again.

Material substances come in three forms: Gases, fluids, and solids.

Oils and other lubricants that FLOW are fluids.

Greases are considered semi-solids.

A hydraulic fluid is a flowable lubricant and comes in many flavors such as AW Antiwear (AW) Hydraulic Oils (IS0 15 or 4.5 cSt, to ISO 220 or 18.5 cSt), Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF), and power steering fluid (PSF), Tractor Hydraulic Fluid (THF), Universal Tractor Transmission Oil (UTTO).

The UTTO's or UTHF's are generally 9.5 to 11.0 cSt or
equivalent to SAE30 weights, or in the ISO 46 to ISO 100 range.

You have to carefully read the Technical Data Sheets these days to find out what the fluids' application covers.

If you are not sure of the fluids makeup, take a sample of the fluid currently in the machine and a sample of the fluid you intend to use and have it analyzed by a reputable analyst.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back