Light Aircraft Owner Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I just got back into private plane ownership. I've been reading up on aviation oil. I owned my last plane(1966 Cherokee 140) back in the early 90s. At that time I used Aeroshell 15w-50 & a Champion filter. I think this go around I will used Shell 100w + in the warmer months & Phillips 20w-50 aviation oil in the cooler/winter months. I may add a little 'Camguard' to the change also.

This latest is a 1974 Piper Warrior in pretty good shape. I sold some land I don't go to & plan to introduce 2 Sons who are interested. I know general aviation is not doing the best lately but it gets a little boring sitting in the bunker all day.

Congrats on the new bird! I'm curious to know what kind of additives the camguard has in it?

Joe, congrats on getting back in to aviation and on the purchase. I would use either the Aero Shell 15W-50 or the Phillips 20W-50 year round, plus I would use Avblend. When I had my Cessna, the Phillips 20W-50 and Avblend was a good combination and gave me many trouble free hours of flying time.

This was my Cessna, lets see a picture of yours.

74150ext-1-1.jpg

Yes, I will get a picture up eventually. The other day 100LL was $4.29 or so a gallon,self serve. I'm sure prices will be going up on that soon too. I'm still doing oil research & I do see lots of opinions. I think like an auto, overall care & routine preventative maintenance are key. Not sure what's in Camguard,it's expensive & seems to get good reviews though. It's main purpose is to ward off corrosion when the plane is parked between flying for weeks at a time. They recommend one pint into the oil change.

I actually am so new into plane ownership I don't have the plane yet. I was trying to arrange it today but it didn't work out. Now it looks like next weekend as long as the weather cooperates. I do have hanger space lined up. I see some of the hanger renters have a spartan 'man cave' set up in the corner. I may not go that far,but you never know.

crackmeup2.gif
I had my man cave when I rented my hangar as did everyone else. Local airport is only 1/2 mile from my house. Did everything in that hangar except spend the night. Had a grill, small ice box, a cabinet with snacks, the important things in life. Every Saturday morning in the spring, summer, and fall a bunch of us hanger dwellers would meet and fire up the grills for some good airport breakfast. Nothing like pancakes and bacon on the tarmac to get you going.

Update, I got the plane the other day, it is in my rented hanger now. The Son & I went on another flight just yesterday. I'd post a picture but this site isn't as easy as some others.

I ordered 2 cases of oil, both Shell. I went with 15w-50 and a case of 100w+ for Summer. It has 15w-50 in it at the moment. I'll do an oil change in a month or 2. I have a little tweaking here & there but all is fine as is. I did lube the yoke rod on both sides since it was very dry and had an annoying squeak. It's smooth as silk now. I think I'll try a Tempest oil filter for the change, or maybe the Champion again.

Congrats Mr. Joe, another Piper flyer. Pics? Good luck with the new bird..many happy flights.

I have a Pa28-236, had a -140 Cruiser and a Pa38-112 before the Dakota. Loved the "Traumahawk".

I recently changed to Phillips 20w-50 after using Aeroshell for a long time over the three airplanes. I had some odd oil analysis results and, after discussion w/ my A&P decided on the Phillips...we will see.

Pretty Cessna there Johnny.

Happy landings all!

Originally Posted By: Mr_Joe
I'd post a picture but this site isn't as easy as some others.

I sent you a PM with my email address. Send me a couple of pictures and I will post them on here for you.

Johnny

We operate 2 EA300L Extra 300L aerobatic aircraft, plus my personal Cessna 177RG. I do know this: Conventional aircraft oil such as Aeroshell 100 will leave significant deposits inside the engine. Aeroshell semi synthetic 15-50 results in much cleaner engine internals. The difference is stunning.

However, I really can't say that the 15-50 results in longer engine life. It seems that our engines are overhauled for non oil related reasons, well before they "wear out" or quit. Do I like the cleaner engine? You bet!

I do know of a 172 in daily service with 5000 hours on the engine! All with Aeroshell 100. That's 3000 hours beyond the overhaul period. Once again, it's not the oil, but the operation that results in long life.

There are at least 2 reports of Camguard's positive results in preventing corrosion. That's very important for long aircraft engine life. Lycoming camshaft's rust, then fail.

On behalf of Mr_Joe, here is a picture of his newly acquired 1974 Piper Warrior. I shrunk the picture down a little, hope that is alright with you Joe. This surly is a nice looking plane.

JoesPiper.jpg

Hey, that picture looks just like my plane. The wife and I are going for a short hop today. The weather should be ideal. My oil arrived the other day. I need to add just a bit to get it over 6 quarts anyway. The engine was overhauled 362 hours ago & I want to see what the oil use is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back