Inherited 97 Buick Lesabre

Status
Not open for further replies.
My son just got this car given to him by a relative. I know it has a rebuilt tranny,new gas tank and exhaust. It needs rear struts and tires. What are some problems I can expect from this car? It has 95,000 miles on it. Does it have the intake gasket curse?

Last edited:
One serious problem is the cradle mounts rotting away and the cradle dropping. It is usually the rear ones. Yes lower intake/upper intake issue is 3800 series 2 that you got there. However if replace prompltly no engine damage will occur.

If you have those issues taken care of it could go another 200K.
LaSabres were very good cars, IMO.

There aren't a whole lot of issues with the 97's. Do the intake manifold gaskets, flush out the other fluids, do your other maintenance, and drive it.

Originally Posted By: beast3300
One serious problem is the cradle mounts rotting away and the cradle dropping. It is usually the rear ones. Yes lower intake/upper intake issue is 3800 series 2 that you got there. However if replace prompltly no engine damage will occur.

Yep, this and some updates and you should be good to go!

Concur with previous poster's. I would recommend changing the intake gaskets as a preventive measure if not already done.

In my qualified experience this would be a reliable and low maintenance inheritance
smile.gif
The 3800 Series II is a wonderful engine and should rank as one of the finest production engines of all history.

Second, I concur that the intake manifold gaskets should be replaced (if not already) to the second/upgraded design. GM parts and Fel Pro have a kit ready to go for this application due to the massive blemish to this otherwise perfect power train.

Third, although it has been missed here inspect and preemptively replace the valve cover gaskets if there are signs of deterioration. At 13+ years exposure to the elements, engine heat, and all the nasties out there it is invariable. Valve cover gaskets on these engines do go. On some 3800 the threat of engine fires caused a recall....except in mine which leaks and "did not qualify as a non TSB'd model" Aside this a reason I keep my engine bay nearly spotless and consistently degreased and washed down. This way the mechanic and or I can quickly detect the incidence of no good under the hood or car. All of our 3800s developed leaks past the 100k mark.

Fourth, at 95,000 miles you are likely approaching the design limits of the factory installed Platinum rapid fire plugs. The replacement GM/NGK Iridium plugs make for a good upgrade. Platinum is tried and true and will also serve you well. I would also suggest spark plug wires if there is an age issue.

Finally another potential problem is the camshaft position sensor. When this fails it causes a weird stalling of the car at braking. This is an easy fix if it ever occurs. You can find Delphi and AC Delco branded CPS sensors at rock auto online.

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back