Trailer Tire Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I searched, but didn't see too many recent topics.

I'm buying a utility trailer on Friday, from a friend. I've used the trailer before, and I know it was Primewell P-metric tires on it now. Something like 205/70R15 or something similar, but I'm not sure on the exact size.

I'm thinking about re-tiring the trailer when I get it, but I'm not sure what to do. Every objective piece of information I've seen (from tire manufacturers, tire retailers, etc) says to only use ST tires on trailers, because they have higher load ratings, are bias belted for greater lateral stability, etc. But every subjective thing I've read pretty much universally criticizes ST tires as cheap and prone to blowing out. Even the "better" brands like the Goodyear Marathon are made in China and don't seem to have a good reputation.

I should also clarify that this is a 5x8 open-top utility trailer, and I'll use it for things like hauling mulch, the lawn tractor, etc. I doubt I'll ever have more than 2,500# in the trailer. I also don't anticipate much (if any) high speed driving.

Advice for someone who has pulled a lot of trailers in his life, but has never owned one until now? Thanks!

I run car tires (radials) on my utility and boat trailers. They seem to ride and pull smoother and I let some air out for when I'm hauling empty.

Just shop around for a heavy load rating or maybe a 6 ply rated tire if you can find one.

Pretty much ALL ST rated trailer radials are weak-any LT rated, XL/extra load rated, or even a P-rated would probably last longer-as long as you stick to carrying light loads-and 2500 lbs. would be EASY for any 205/R15.

Do you haul firewood or gravel or dirt? I guess stuff like patio slabs too can add up pretty quickly.
I borrow a trailer with P 205/75R15 tires and while I don't get near their capacity, ~3400lbs, usually 2200lbs, it does sway a bit but not enough to bother me at 55mph.

The ST rating does seem a bit dumb, the tires are built "tougher" and the thier load rating takes into account the lack of good suspension on trailers, but not rated to go over 65mph?

If the trailer has decent suspension I think your fine with P rated tires, if not then maybe you should get the ST rated ones, the tires are almost the same price on tire rack.com.

I've been researching tire options for my trailer almost since I got it, since I know the day will come when it will need changing, and the size I have is hard to find, and is barely enough to handle the weight of the trailer.

Here are some things I've learned along the way. P-metric passenger tires are not recommended on trailers. The primary reason is that the sidewalls are too soft. Trailer tires need to be relatively stiff. They are also supposed to have their load rating decreased by 10% for a trailer application if you do use them. Effectively renders them a non-option for all but the lightweight trailers.

ST tires are purpose-built for trailer use, with considerations given to sidewall stiffness, weight of the tire, UV inhibitors and probably some other things I'm not aware of. In theory, they should be the best choice for a trailer. The reality is a different story. The majority are bias-ply, not radial. Supposedly easier to build a high load rating tire with bias technology than radial. Blowouts on these by nature of bias versus radial is that they are more likely, but consequences are supposedly less catastrophic (think tread layer peeling off, versus ripping to shreds and beating the [censored] out of your fenders). ST tires, whether radial or bias, are also by definition, limited in speed to 65 mph.

ST tires are mostly made in China these days, or if not China, then another developing country. Chinese tires seem to have a high failure rate due to poor quality control. Blowouts seem to happen disproportionately on these, trailer tires, or otherwise.

Enter LT tires (and the virtually identical European "C" commercial tires, as in 185R14C). These are fairly similar in constrution to ST tires, with some key differences. Enough sidewall flex to use on a self powered vehicle (ie pick up truck), but still very stiff for load carrying capacity and stability. They are virtually all radial in construction. They have a variety of speed ratings that we're familiar with (typically ranging in Q to T, depending on application/size). They lack some of the UV inhibitors that the ST tires have, may be more prone to flat spotting when sitting idle for long periods (driving gets rid of the flat spots as the tire warms and flexes), may be a little bit heavier. There are many flavours that don't come from China as well, and often, you can get higher Load Ranges than is available in ST.

There seem to be a whole army of people against LT use for trailer applications, all warning doom and gloom. But some points to consider before you dismiss them:

- many trailers come from the factory now with LT tires
- trailer manufacturers have stated in their owners mannuals (seen this in mine specifically) that both LT and ST tires are the correct type
- tire manufacturers who do not make ST tires recommend LT tires (they wouldn't do so if it wasn't safe for liability reasons)
- trailer owners experiencing problems and blowouts on ST tires who have switched to LT are usually glad they did
- LT tires are more widely available, useful for an emergency replacement while on the road

I've sold myself on getting LT tires as my trailer replacement (only caveat being if I can get them to fit with some minor modifications, as I will be going to a larger size). I honestly don't think there is a better choice for trailer use.

BTW, some good choices from what I've seen are Michelin XPS rib on some of the larger LT sizes. For smaller size availabilty, check out Continental Vanco 2 tires. Regardless, choose a tire from a brand with a good reputation.

Last edited:
Thanks weebl.

Your post summarizes my experience and thinking on trailer tires as well. I'll be shifting to LTs that are not made in china after 2 blow outs.

The tough thing is finding a tire with a LR "C" or "D" for a 14" rim. I'll check out the continental vanco's. IIRC, and my memory is fuzzy on this, but Dodge Sprinter tires can work.

tirerack.com has a number of non-chinese options for trailers as well. It's a little hard to find on their site, but they are there.

The Kumho Radial 857 is available for 14" sizes, and come with a Q speed rating. They don't specifically say "LT" in the size, but they don't look to be "ST" tires either. The size range spans from 185R14 to 205R14, all with a D load range and a 65psi maximum inflation. Cursory internet searching on this tire brings up generally positive reviews.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Kumho&tireModel=Radial+857

The Kumho Radial 857 is one of those Euro sized commercial tires - equivalent to LT. It seems to get good reviews. Different sizes are sourced from different countries.

Originally Posted By: Jim 5
Thanks weebl.

Your post summarizes my experience and thinking on trailer tires as well. I'll be shifting to LTs that are not made in china after 2 blow outs.

The tough thing is finding a tire with a LR "C" or "D" for a 14" rim. I'll check out the continental vanco's. IIRC, and my memory is fuzzy on this, but Dodge Sprinter tires can work.

tirerack.com has a number of non-chinese options for trailers as well. It's a little hard to find on their site, but they are there.

You're welcome. I don't know what size the Sprinters use, but I myself am looking at 185R14C LRD tires (around 1,860 lbs) to replace ST185/80D13 LRD (1,725 lbs). My preference is for Vanco 2, but other choices in this size and load range include choices from Nokian, Yokohama and Kumho. A very similar diameter size that is virtually impossible to find now are LT195/75R14. I think BFG has their All Terrain T/A KO in that size, I believe in LRD.

I have the 205 - 14"s. The Kumho 587's are getting very good reviews. Interestingly, if you drill down, you'll find out that some of them are made in China which gives me very large reservations.

Last spring Kumho Canada had them on sale at really attractive prices (similar to tirerack but without the shipping and duty).

I still want to stick with something not made in China for safety and economic reasons. I have a long history with BFG AT KOs and had no idea they were available in these sizes. The LT is fairly attractive because the ST tires as you mentioned are rated to 59-65MPH which doesn't work well for me now that I've got a diesel truck.

I'll look at those BFGs as well as the Contis.

Don't know how readily available the TA KO is in LT19575R14. Vanco2 and probably a winter choice from Continental only seem to be in 185R14C LRD, which would give them a weight capacity of 1,874 lbs. Or from Nokian, the Hakkapeliitta CS and C2 models are available in 195R14C LRD, and this bumps up the weight capacity to 2,094 lbs.

I can only find the 205R14C size in the Chinese Kumhos, and these have a 2,271 lb rating. Do you need that much capacity? If you do, what about upgrading to 15"?

Actually, I've found that the Vanco8, when obtained through the US distribution channels instead of Canadian channels, is available in 205/80R14C, 2,271 lb capacity. Don't know if the website states it incorrectly as an 80 profile and it's really a 205R14C, but in any case, very little difference as a non-stated profile is 82.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: weebl
Don't know how readily available the TA KO is in LT19575R14. Vanco2 and probably a winter choice from Continental only seem to be in 185R14C LRD, which would give them a weight capacity of 1,874 lbs. Or from Nokian, the Hakkapeliitta CS and C2 models are available in 195R14C LRD, and this bumps up the weight capacity to 2,094 lbs.

I can only find the 205R14C size in the Chinese Kumhos, and these have a 2,271 lb rating. Do you need that much capacity? If you do, what about upgrading to 15"?

I need about 1850 but would like a buffer zone. I can't upgrade to a 15" doing a spring-over conversion because I can see some rubbing already in the fenderwell as it is.

I'll probably go with the chinese Kumhos if I can't find a BFG/Conti or similar option with the right rating and overall diameter.

Use trailer specific tires,only. I change my bass boat trailer tires every 5 years.....whether they need it,or not. Be sure to get the wheels/tires balanced.

I know, I know, I know. They are built overseas. But if you want an ST radial tire, these are really hard to beat and if you go to the right dealer, you can get them at the right price.

In the 205/75/15 you can get them in a D rating. If you decided to step up to a 225/75/15 you could get them in an E rating.

Most ST (Special Trailer) tires are unreliable junk, regardless of the weight rating on the sidewalls. Hercules is not a tire maker, they are a tire distributor, and probably some Chinese factory makes their tires along with identical tires with other labels.

The Conti Vanco and Kumho 857 look like very good options for the hard to find 14" and 15" sizes. In 16", a rib-tread LT235/85R16 LR-C is an excellent choice, with the Michelin XPS Rib probably the pick of the litter.

By the way, many, many ST tires are radials. Bias ply ST tires are cheaper to make, run hotter, and take a bit more fuel to pull, but are perfectly OK on tires that run very few miles each year...many utility trailers, some boats, etc. If you put a few thousand miles on the trailer, I'd go radial.

Change tire diameter, and new wheels, might also require new hubs to match the lug pattern of the new wheels. If the trailer has brakes, new brake drum/hubs makes the price add way up quickly.

Originally Posted By: Stewart Fan
Take a look at the trailer tires from Maxxis. IIRC,they're made in Taiwan,but they have an excellent reputation on RV.net

I have read that also (good reviews on the Maxxis trailer tires).

I'll only add to what's already here...

I run a P-series car tire on my smallish 5vr (under 5,000 pounds)...the combined weight rating of the tires (four) is still greater than the weight of the camper...I have never experienced any negative effects from using these. However, they are not cheap car tires either...they are BFG traction TAs that I removed from my car.

I have a flatbed trailer that uses 225-75r15 STs (Load-Star brand). I have put a LOT of miles on that trailer and the tires. I would not hesitate to buy them. I also bought a Hercules as a spare, it seems like a quality tire. If I replace these tires, I will replace them with LT truck tires.

One of the key points to ANY trailer tire that most seem to ignore is that you should make sure they are BALANCED!! I balance every trailer tire...if the tire is out of balance, it is literally slapping the road every revolution...add a batch of weight, and you can see the potential result. Not to mention, it makes for a much nicer ride.

Ken2, I get at what you are saying, but how many Hercules ST Radial trailer tires have you ran? I can tell you I have sold quite a few of them, and have yet to have any return. Regardless of who makes them or distributes them.

Don't get me wrong, I've had a few FreeStars in a 235/80/16 comeback for new tires, but the guy who gets those abuses them to no end hauling a trailer with heavy trenching equipment out in remote areas with NO roads digging lines for Quest. He gets about 9 months out of them in severe commercial applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back