2005 Impala battery problems/elec gremlins?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just purchased a 2005 Impala from the dealership where I work. It was a one-owner vehicle that my dealership sold new. 3400 V6 engine with 24k miles.

The previous owner was picky. He had brought it in for service because the dash lights went out and the speed odometer had quit working, intermittenly. Our sercice department could not duplicate, therefore they could not diagnose. I think that's why the gentleman traded the vehicle

Coming home tonight, I had the battery light come on in the Message Center just briefly and the air bag light came on.
The battery appears to be about two years old. Could the battery be bad, the belt slipping due to age (despite the low mileage), or the alternator be weak?

Any suggestions as to where I should start?

A circuit could be staying on. A sticking relay. A bad diode in the alt. A bad + or ground wire somewhere. A loose connector .A poor shop not willing to fix the problem cause the mfg will not pay enough diagnostic time. A dealer not willing to make sure the customer is as happy with the product as the Corporation was getting the money for the sale. Eletrical work can be hard. First get the battery load tesetd and the aletrnator checked Sears auto used to hook up the car to a vat type of machine and to a quick test for free. I do not know if they still do. The dash problems seem to direct me to that area. Good luck.

I post a lot at the GAownersclub forum and the first thing that we say to someone with a last model GA/Alero (or any recent GM FWD)is to service the battery terminals and check the wires. Use a wire brush, water and baking soda, and dielectric gel during reassembly. Pull the side post out of the terminals/rubber boots and clean everything. Clean the battery negative to block ground and especially the body ground cable that usually comes off of the negative cable. Pull the positive terminal off of the starter and clean that as well. Watch for any sensor grounds which are a number of wires connected to a black plastic connector with a lug that will be bolted to either the engine or the body. Weird, uncommon, unexplainable problems can be solved this way.

I recently had a similar problem with the BATT light intermittently coming on, but it quickly became a full time error, and I replaced the alternator. This fixed the problem on my Olds, but you may also need to check the connections as posted by ddean.

From my own experience with Olds 3.4 problems and fixes:

Bad Battery
If battery is not charging correctly, the symptoms are clock goes to "01:00" after engine is off, gauges go "wacky" with engine off and key "on", or starter clicks fast while attempting to to start.
Replace battery.

Bad Alternator
When "BATT" light is lit or dashboard stops working intermittently with engine running, the alternator is not outputting the correct voltage.
Replace alternator.

Bad Radiator hose clamp
Check for very small leak where expansion hose connects to the radiator. This connection lines up with the serpentine belt, and may squirt onto the belt causing temporary slip.
Replace clamp with the old-fashioned screw tightened clamp.

----------------------------------------------

1999 Olds Alero GLS 3.4L

Last edited:
You should take it to the dealer. I heard there is a great BITOG mechanic who works there. Try to get him to work on your car.

Sorry, I just had to say it :)

- Vikas

Last edited:
I had my radiator flushed and coolant changed. The light came on once afterwards. The following weekend, I changed the hose and hose clamps. The lights have not come on since. I'm guessing it was a hose clamp issue, knock on wood.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SALE-03-0...sQ5fAccessories

On a side note, the clusters in these are known to go bad. One or all of the gauges can read erratically and/or not work at all. I would do as the others said if the problem comes back and replace the alt/battery with a reman ACDelco alt, Deka or other quality battery. A bad battery can kill a good alternator, and it is common for both to go bad at or near the same time.

^^^If you ever need instructions on how to take the front of the dash off, you can PM me or I can post here. It's not hard to do, but there are several hidden screws that you need to know about.

The Gremlins are back. Can the problems be diagnosed if the problem is intermitten or does the diagnosis have to occur while the car is acting up?

Actually, the guages seem to function normal. The battery light, brake light and air bag light come on for about three seconds. Seems to be a daily occurance now.

The good news is you don't have a gauge cluster or alternator problem.

You might have a loose connector similar to TSB #SB-08-09-41-002 GM intermittent air bag lamp caused by a loose....

You would need a gm "CHASSIS SERVICE MANUAL" for the full test procedures.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back