Mystic JT-6 Hi Temp #2 . Wheel bearing ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
repacking the bearing on my boat trailer. Using mystic hi temp #2 and have a question. this seems really tacky and hopefully it is a very good grease. What has me concerned is this considered a hi, med or low viscoisty grease?

After reading on a trailer manufactures website it said to use a low or med viscosity grease so that it will "flow" enough to lub ethe bearings. it said a high visc grease will be slung to the outside of the hub,

here are the exact words.
Be sure that the grease you use is a low to medium viscosity (high temperature) grease. Low to medium viscosity grease will flow around and through the hub cavity and bearings providing more total lubricant to the bearings than a high viscosity grease. High viscosity greases tend to centrifuge to the outer hub cavity wall where they stick and stay with only the small amount of grease in the bearing rollers providing lubrication.

Mystic washes out to easy,we quit using it on the semis at work because of the washout problem.

oh, i thought that mystic was a really good grease. Just packed two hibs full of it, but still have the other side to do. Will the mystic be ok or should I switch now?

I would consider Mystik to be a high viscosity grease. The 40, Cst is 633. Even though GC-LB rated it will probably act exactly like your instruction sheet says. In your application it would be serviceable, but not the optimum.

jdw,
Mystik JT6 Hi-Temp is a very good grease and would be especially good for your trailer if you have disc brakes, otherwise the better grease would be Mystik JT6 High Performance Marine. There is a web store if you can't find it at your local store.

My trailer manual specifically listed Mystik JT-6 Hi-Temp #2 Grease as recommended. I initially didn't believe and thought that calcium sulfonate based marine grease would be better but it was not as it turned to gray mush very quickly. Mystik stays solid and red much longer. I also use it for gimbal bearing in my boat.

The only problem is Pepboys don't carry it anymore. Anyone also knows what stores carry it? I know I can order online but I would prefer locally.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
My trailer manual specifically listed Mystik JT-6 Hi-Temp #2 Grease as recommended. I initially didn't believe and thought that calcium sulfonate based marine grease would be better but it was not as it turned to gray mush very quickly. Mystik stays solid and red much longer. I also use it for gimbal bearing in my boat.

The only problem is Pepboys don't carry it anymore. Anyone also knows what stores carry it? I know I can order online but I would prefer locally.

friendly_jacek,

Our local Ace Hardware carries it. Mystik products are often sold in farm and tractor stores. For instance, Blain's Farm and Fleet sells it here in the midwest.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

Found it at my local Wal-Mart yesterday. 3 bucks and some change for the 14oz tube. Seems like the best grease I could find locally so I'm going to give it a try on my trailer I just assembled and the universal joints on my 4Runner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back