oil for a 99 hyundai elantra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all im due for a new oil change and im having a bit of trouble.

Ok so I picked up a purolator pure one (my favorite) and headded to walmart for the 5 quart jug of maxlife. Get to walmart and they only have two left on the shelf. I dont remember what the other jug was but they had a 10w-40. Picked it up and was kinda upset they didnt have my 5w-30 that I need.

Also needed a air filter so I walk up to the little computer that they have and start looking. Walmart doesent cary my airfilter but the computer said that I needed 5w-40. Can anyone give me some insight on this? I ahave always put 5w-30 in the car. Is walmarts database wrong? or am I wrong? Also I have some burnoff so will this thicker oil hurt?

Thanks
Sean Scott

What does your owners manual say? If you do not have the manual, I am sure googling it will find the answer for you.

I am sure 5W-30 is withing the range of acceptable weights.

I would stay with what is inscribed on your Oil Fill Cap (5W 30 ?) . Go to another Walmart to find a 5 qrt jug of 5W 30 Max Life - if that is not possible look for another name brand 5W 30 High Mileage oil Walmart has in a 5 qrt jug .

Thanks guys for the replies. Ill go look im pretty sure that it says 5-30 and walmarts database is wrong. Unfortunately walmart is pretty much out of maxlife. They did have penzoil highmilage but for the price they wanted for it I would have rather payed the 19 at auto zone for what i wanted. But then I could have payed the small ammount more after that for mobil 1 high milage. But I bought it thinking that the thicker weight would slow the burnoff. But I just wanted to make sure that there would be no adverse effects to running this heavyer weight.

Thanks All
Sean Scott

Originally Posted By: electrolover
nothing bad will happen from using a 10/40. let us know if it helps oil consumption

+1

10w40 Maxlife ran rough on my Elantra. Also, use Hyundai Genuine oil filter. They're only 6 bucks and they won't make a clacking noise on startup

Maybe it's just me, but I think
5w40 would be ideal for your vehicle.
And I agree with the OEM filter suggestion.

jringo

I have a Hyundai, but I feel I can do better than the OEM filter, so I use a Mobil 1 EP. I have never had any valvetrain sounds, at startup or otherwise. I've seen at least two reports of apparent oil starvation noises from PureONE filter users, however.

Hyundai issued TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) 05-20-002 for this type of issue:

Quote:
DESCRIPTION:

Some vehicles may experience an engine knock noise with the use of an aftermarket oil filter. Aftermarket oil filters may use different materials, construction and specifications
than genuine Hyundai oil filters, which may lead to pressure variations within the engine, thus contributing to an engine knocking noise.

VEHICLES AFFECTED:

All Models

REPAIR PROCEDURE:

Perform an oil change on the vehicle and replace the aftermarket oil filter with a genuine Hyundai oil filter.

It's not necessary to use an OEM filter (though OEM is a good choice); you can simply use a good filter that isn't as restrictive as, say, a pane of glass.

I grabbed your owner's manual off of the Hyundai Service Web Site. It says:

Quote:
API SG or SG/CD

SAE 20W-40, 20W-50 (above 32F)
SAE 10W-30, 10W-40, 10W-50 (above -10F)
SAE 5W-30, 5W-40 (below 100F)

BTW, it takes 4.2 quarts per oil change.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back