Best Ratchet Lubricant

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this has been covered on here many times, but again for the most part, the information has been anecdotal. Since this is Bob Is the Oil Guy, what lubricant SHOULD be used in a ratchet to reduce wear? Should it be a regular light weight oil? A gear oil? A gear grease?

Knowing the operating conditions of a ratchet- low temperature, moderate/high pressure (at the point of tooth contact), what should we be using? Please include your rationale.

Thank you,
Techniker

Thanks, but I've read all of the posts on this forum about this topic. I'm just looking for something more concrete about the logic for using one lubricant over another in terms of wear resistance.

-Techniker

I've successfully neglected my ratchets for decades - to the point where I've come to like a lube that can be easily replaced or supplemented without dis-assembly. That simply means a liquid/oil. Currently using MPC SL-10. I'd guess that a full "fill" would be the best way to carry particulate debris, be it wear induced or ingested.

Permatex 81950 is absolutely fool proof -- that's what I like about it so much. You can over lube the ratchet and the excess will bleed off leaving a thick film behind. It's a little messy at first, but it's well worth it in my opinion.

Maybe someone will do a UOA on a ratchet lube?
smile.gif
lol j/k

I'm using superlube spiked with a drop of 5w20.

Originally Posted By: ajchien
I'm using superlube spiked with a drop of 5w20.

That's not gonna work because Superlube is a full synthetic translucent clear grease. If you look in there, you'll probably find the grease congealed from the drop of petroleum engine oil. When I say congealed, I mean it will look like cottage cheese in there because the two will not mix.

I had tried brake caliper grease, white lithium grease, and superlube. All of them were really equivalent. The last time I used superlube, I added a drop of 5w20 - and it quieted the ratchet down a lot. Maybe it's the cottage cheese. Lol, I'll look inside tomorrow, if needed -clean it out and relube. Thanks!

It's a crying shame Vulcan Tools are goners 'cause I owned one for over a decade, with flawless results, till it went one sad day. When I went back for a new one, the dealer told me they stopped manufacturing them, and that now they sold Utica Tools (very good) and Stanleys. I got me a Stanley set 'cause of the price difference and, so far, no regrets for nearly 12 years! Good luck!!!
BTW, my opinion on Crafstman is dual: 1. They're weak; 2. it's easy to get them replaced with Sears'/Kmart's no-haggle policy. But, having to go every year to obtain a replacement is, in and of itself, a hassle! So I went the Stanley way with fine results.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
mine gets lubed when I drop it in the oil pan when doingf a change...

So do my open end wrenches...
33.gif

Yup, mine get lubed with whatever I drop them in or splash them with.
Right now it is a mixture of used hot motor oil and the ultra nasty smelling Mercon V ATF.
I wipe them down after I use them... but man, that smell doesn't die.

I actually haven't had any problems with the Craftsman ratchets, even the regular raised panel type and I use them professionally.

For this topic, I really had more of the new 1/2" Craftsman Premium ratchet. It's actually received better reviews than the Snap-On S80.

-Techniker

Last edited:
It's been suggested to soak ratchets in ATF. I did that and they are now smoother and quieter than before. I can recommend ATF.

Just took apart 5 ratchets looking for congealed grease/oil. No cottage cheese. Just looks like grease inside. Idk. How long does it take to form the cottage cheese? The only complication I ran into was trying to get that pawn-ball-spring back together on a 1/4 ratchet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back