Barium 0 0 0

Phosphorous 755 779 870

Zinc 887 890 912

Fuel (% Vol.) 0.5 0.5 0.5

Soot (% Vol.)
Water (% Vol. )
Viscosity (100 C CS.)10.0 10.2 9.4

TBN 6.73 6.51 7.81

Sample #1 mostly interstate including 3,300 mile trip. Sample #2 included 1,000 mile trip with balance accumulated via 22 mile round trip for work. Sample #3 all 22 mile round trip for work plus a couple of short 200 mile trips. Short interval for sample #3 due to prepping car for winter storage.

As always, comments and observations are welcome.

Cool, a supercharged Camry. That must be quite a sleeper. Wear metals all looked pretty good to me. The only things I would look at are silicon and sodium. 2 possibilities come to mind here. Usually high silicon is a filtration problem (I'm guessing you modified the intake quite a bit), but it's relatively high and combined with the sodium in the sample (not normal), it looks like the start of some coolant contamination. The other possibility is the filtration issue combined with the salt on the roads near you is giving you the sodium reading.

Viscosity retention looked pretty good and the TBN held up okay. I suspect it was a little lower than normal this early because you have a touch of fuel dilution, but I didn't see anything to stress about yet.

Compared to others here, I'm relatively inexeperienced with these reports, so I may be off base too...

Edit: Calcium and magnesium look like they should be switched.

[ December 30, 2002, 09:42 AM: Message edited by: mdv ]

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:
[QB]I agree, the calcium and magnesium numbers are definitely reversed.

QB]

I don't think so. The Mg and Ca #'s look typical of Tri Syn.

The lab looks like it's giving you very consistent numbers. I've never heard of Polaris. Was there some reason you chose to test at only 2200 mi for the last sample?

Hmm, I stand corrected. It's odd because the sample from my mom's car, with SJ 10w30 TriSyn shows virtually equal calcium and magnesium.

quote:

Originally posted by Jay:
The lab looks like it's giving you very consistent numbers. I've never heard of Polaris. Was there some reason you chose to test at only 2200 mi for the last sample?

He mentioned because he was prepping the car for winter storage, so he probably wanted fresh oil in there for the storage and took the sample earlier than normal.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

Originally posted by Jay:

He mentioned because he was prepping the car for winter storage, so he probably wanted fresh oil in there for the storage and took the sample earlier than normal.

Correct. Fresh oil for winter storage thus the shorter than normal interval.

Polaris Laboratories is located in Indianapolis. Excellent service in terms of turnaround time on the samples thus far. They include a nice set of graphs on the back of their report to help show the trends as well.

Hmm, I guess I'm really confused on the calcium/magnesium. The baseline sample in the maxima.org sheet shows 2569 calcium, 0 magnesium,
814 phosphorus and 1146 zinc. That was for trisyn 5W-30. I wouldn't have thought 10W-30 was that much different, but these results show that something doesn't seem right one way or another.

That sample from that spreadsheet has to be incorrect, as TriSynthetic definitely does not come with 0 magnesium, at least not the SJ version. Both of my recent SJ TriSyn reports posted here prove that.

I agree, the calcium and magnesium numbers are definitely reversed.

It's kinda scary how much the third sample thinned out in just 2k! That's not typical of 10w30 Mobil 1 either.

What lab was used here ? They check for Antimony !
cool.gif

quote:

[QB]I agree, the calcium and magnesium numbers are definitely reversed.
QB]

Patman,

If so, then the lab has consistently reported these numbers incorrectly as all three samples have had higher numbers for magnesium than for calcium. A sample of 5W30 Tri-Syn that you posted for your wife's Civic had higher magnesium than calcium too.
dunno.gif

Pops,

The testing lab is Polaris.

[ December 30, 2002, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: 2533a ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back