E-Locker Gear oil choice

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am installing an electronic Eaton E-Locker in my Chevy 8.5 rear end. I know these use magnets to lock the rear axles. I am thinking of putting Amsoil SVG 75-90 in it when done. Questions or Comments are welcome.

thanks

Good gear lube choice, I do alot of offroad stuff with it.

If you did a gear setup you might consider using a cheapo GL5 for a thousand miles or something while it breaks in.

Definitely check the owner's manual or with the manufacturer...there was one (particular case on PavementSucks a few years back) that the e-locker would not engage/operate with synthetic oil (and the manual stated conventional gear oil).

This is an Electronically controlled locker that uses magnets to turn two coupling disks to mesh and engage/lock the axles. The owners manual calls for 80W90. The techs at Eaton said dino or synthetic shouldn't matter. However "they don't care for synthetics"

I was simply stating an issue that had arisen in the past...synthetic oil was the direct cause (as told to him by the manufacturer) and changing to conventional solved his problems.

But this was also right after the e-locker was intro'd...

Originally Posted By: 05Blazer
However "they don't care for synthetics"

lol.gif
You had this spelled out for you as well, huh?

Eaton has several traction aids that can be problematic with synthetics. So do other traction aid manufacturers. It's mostly to do with those that use friction as part of their functionality (limited slips). The unit is designed to operate with the friction characteristics of a certain oil and when you install a synthetic with friction characteristics that differ greatly from the calibration oil, the unit doesn't work as advertised (typically a lower the bias ratio) or is noisy. To my knowledge, the E-Locker isn't one of those, nor would be any mechanical unit like the Detroit belikely to have a problem, but the Trutrac and some other limited slips are "no syn." They really don't want to test every combination of oil so they deliver the blanket, "No syns." In the case of a "no syns" unit, you can either have the advertised functionality and the full warranty, or synthetic oil. Definitely a factor in which unit to buy. Given that there are so many good mineral oils out, it isn't a huge factor IMO, but it might be for some.

I believe they could reengineer all the problematic units to be more suitable with synthetics, but that costs money. With one limited slip I know of, there is a permanent reduction in bias ratio that can be done by using synthetics long term.

If I were to consider conventional gear oil, which has proven to be the best? I have seen a VOA of Valvoline that looked pretty good. Someone once told me that the Lucas gear oils are robust because they are really engineered for 18 wheelers. Are there any that stand above the rest?

Schaeffers, Chevron Delo ESI, and Torco RGO all are VERY good/robust mineral based gear oils.

Problem is that they are most definitely NOT "off the shelf, go down to your local parts store to grab" type products (depending on where you are located, somewhat).
frown.gif

They make you work a little to obtain them.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back