VQ35 oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am currently running a mobil one M1-108 and ive comparing it to the royal purple filter are they both made by champion laboratories? The mobil M1-108 seems small for the displacement of the 3.5 any suggestions on other filters that have been used on this motor.

Thanks

Grambo,

I found several types of longer filters when I searched on here a few months ago for my VQ35. Some that stand out,

m1-110 is the longer 3.5"
Purolator PL14610 3.5"
PL14612 is standard length
Supertech 7317 longer length. * have used this one w/o issues

Just a subset of list I found, I have about a dozen I found that fit, both standard and longer length.

I'm using a Quaker State version of the PL14612 for last 3 OCI's and haven't had any issues with the normal size filter, but I'm not pushing my mileage out past 4k either.

im running M1 0w40 right now (cold weather) i only run the oil for 3300 miles, i know everyone is going to say its a waste but you have to keep an eye on oil consumption.

Yea, I've read that about a lot of the VQ's. Fortunately {knock on wood} my 2005 G35 6MT doesn't have any consumption issues and I'm just a few miles shy of 70k. Running QS UD 5-30 this run, but I have done PYB 5-30, Rotella T6 5-40 in middle of summer, and Synpower 5-30. Haven't really noticed any difference among any of them.

Last edited:
yea, probably more of a mental thing since I know my powertrain warranty expires in about 150 miles or 8 more weeks....

But on Grambo's original question, maybe it's just me, but I'm not sure I'd be overly worried about the best filter since these engines tend to be hard on oil and therefore I'm probably still going to change my oil around 4 to 5k anyways. Dunno, just my 2 cents.

Standard Nissan shorty app is, well, pretty short. Using Puro numbering the short is PL14612 is the standard size. As mentioned, PL14610 is longer and seems to fit easily in all the Nissan/Infinity apps I've seen.

Fwiw, son just did his first diy oil/filter change, second total, on 2010 G37S. Not knowing space available used the shorter PL14612, plenty of space. Next time using the longer PL14610, same as Fram numbering, #7317.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Only the VQ35HR has consumption problems. The VQ35DE does not.

Wrong i have vq35de not the rev up and it burns oil and its in factory tolerances great compression and leak down. Do some more research before you make a statement like that.

The Royal Purple is not made by champ labs, they are made by Royal Purple and are very high quality. You can't go wrong with the RP filters, but they can be expensive at parts stores, best bet is to buy online maybe from the ebay royal purple store and buy in bulk to save on shipping costs.

Have you ever seen the royal purple filter video?

Okay i didn't find the exact video with a lot of searching that i used to have of royal purple oil filters being made in house but i found one being taken apart.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=floUZGP6NZM

I skipped through that one video.

I was initially looking for the one video where it appeared that they are made by Royal Purple in house.

Although i guess if it says they are made by champ labs at least you know the specs are different, as they employ a different type of media.

Oh, ok. It was just that your post seemed adamant that RP was not made by Champ, yet linked to a video that confirms the OP's thought that it is.

Champ Labs makes M1, K&N, RP, STP, ST, AC Delco and others. But, each is made to specs of the individual brand including RP.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I skipped through that one video.

I was initially looking for the one video where it appeared that they are made by Royal Purple in house.

Although i guess if it says they are made by champ labs at least you know the specs are different, as they employ a different type of media.

They are made by Champ and use the same style of media found in the AMSOIL EaO, Donaldson Endurance, Toyota TRD, Delco UPF (sp?) and Fleetguard Stratapore filters.

It is not "unique" in any way to Royal Purple.

I assume they are excellent filters however, as the Donaldson-pioneered glass media is exceptional.

This is my experience playing around with my '04 350Z.

The Wix 51318 is the largest filter that will fit and has over 300 sq in of media. However, the ADBV isn't all that good, so I get some start-up rattle from the timing chain. The filter is also expensive and hard to find.

A good choice is the Purolator PL14619 which is shorter than the 51318 and has 210 sq in of media. It is a decent price and easily found. It also has a good ADBV, so I get no start-up rattle. The L14619 has 175 sq in of filter media in the same size can. The gasket on the PL14619 is rather larger than the 14610/12, but it works just fine on my engine.

For comparison, I measured 103 sq in of media in a L14610 filter.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Only the VQ35HR has consumption problems. The VQ35DE does not.

If you are new cars, yes, If you are talking any VQ35, dead wrong.

The early (02/03 especially) Maximas and Altimas do burn (often) considerable amounts of oil. I had an oil burner 2002 Maxima SE. The car ran and pulled exceptional but always consumed oil. Not a problem, just have to top up.

The Pure-One PL14459 is another alternative filter, slightly larger in diameter than the PL14610 but seems to have the same gasket contact area.

Quote:

The Pure-One PL14459 is another alternative filter, slightly larger in diameter than the PL14610 but seems to have the same gasket contact area.
Wider, same size gasket and if room allows, it could fit. But here's the rub found out since that linked thread, the PL/L14610 has more media area than the 14459, ~105sq. in. vs ~84sq. in. Think I'd stick with the 14610 size.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Quote:

Wider, same size gasket and if room allows, it could fit. But here's the rub found out since that linked thread, the PL/L14610 has more media area than the 14459, ~105sq. in. vs ~84sq. in. Think I'd stick with the 14610 size.

The other wrinkle between the 14459 and 14610 is that the 14459 is rated at 99.9% @ 20 microns, whereas the 14610 is rated at 99.9% @ 40 microns.

You guys are lucky you have different filters to pick from...most of us Audi/VW guys are stuck with the goofy OEM one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back