Subaru Tribeca (2009) Gear Oil.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new to gear oil....I have never changed it and I want to make sure I get a good product that meets the exact specs that Subaru calls for.

The spec for the front and rear of the vehicle is 75W90 API classification GL-5.

I think I am clear on that...but what I don't know is if I need an oil with the additive for a limited slip differential. I have no idea if my car has a LS differential and if I need an oil that is suitable for LS.

Also, I am replacing the oil based on it's age, not the miles on the odometer. The oil has been in the vehicle for three years. This subaru only has 9,000 miles on it. Is there a top tier oil out there that is "better" than what Subaru factory filled it with?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer and helping me pick out a good quality product for my wife's car.

Last edited:
75w90 or 80w90, whatever you want. You don't need gear oil with limited slip additive.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
Gear oils in 7590-GL5 are synthetic gear oils. Valvoline & Pennzoil are good choices. As Shar stated, no additives needed.

Thanks for your feedback...can you please elaborate as to why I do not need a LS formula for my vehicle.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Is it an automatic or manual transmission?

It is an automatic transmission....AWD.

Last edited:
Any 75w90 full synthetic will work fine in the differentials. Whether the gear oil already has LSD additive or not is nothing to worry about. Just don't add any.

Originally Posted By: 1999cutiger
...can you please elaborate as to why I do not need a LS formula for my vehicle.

As far as I know the later Subarus don't have LSDs? They use computer-controlled braking to create traction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back