Tips to clean engine bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to try to clean the engine compartment of my 97 camry this weekend and need some advise. I don't want to damage anything! I have simple green. Do I just spray down the whole engine with a hose.

I want to use the do it yourself car wash wand and am afraid it's too powerful.

I did it not long ago to my Altima (my baby), I used an engine cleaner (Gunk or something similar) and used a hose w/ spray nozzle, kept the engine running while I did it and had a clean engine with no problems afterwards.

Yes, I cover the fuzes, alternator, and other electronics with plastic bags. BUT, I don't run the engine while cleaning.
After washing, remove the bags then start up the engine to dry it off.

i like to disconnect the battery and then let it dry before reconnecting. i lost an alternator once because it was wet when i started it.
also super cleen is the best cleaner, it makes aluminum look new

I have used a gauntlet of cleaners and shiners on my engine without incident. I dont think letting the engine run would be a good idea. I soak it down and then wash it off. I lightly dry it with towels and polish the metal. But I ussually just let it alone, till it dries out on its own. I I then start it after it dreid overnight. used to clean the engines with a steam gennie, when we had trucks and no incidents.

Last edited:
I generally just use damp paper towels and a few different brushes. Gets most of the dirt off, which is fine. Dont need it to be shiny and unnatural looking, just look decently clean without salt.

A cold engine, a bucket of hot water mixed with a little Tide and a soft dish brush on a stick thingy - you'll see it next to the dish pans at the grocery store and know what I am talking about
smile.gif

For after you have cleaned your soft rubber hoses off, the AEROSPACE 303 Protectant is an incredible product for any black vinyl or hoses you want to look shinny and smooth. I get it from my local ACE Hardware. Just a thought.

Definitely cover your distributor, alternator, and avoid spraying the cleaner on anything electrical directly(a little water may not hurt), and don't spray into the air intake(if easily accessible).

Use electrical cleaner to clean all of your wires and connectors, electrical grease is good for packing them and reconnecting it all to avoid the need for future cleaning there either.

Definitely don't have the car running, but if it was heated up prior, it may help with the cleaning process. Unless you want the cleaner to soak without any heat activating it too soon.

Maybe I am a risk taker, but this is how I do it:

Cold engine. Do not start it.
Hose it down with water, low flow, low volume.
Coat the entire thing with engine degreaser, non-foaming. Only if necessary. I use Gunk engine degreaser.
Let sit for 5 minutes. Hose off fenders, windshield, bumper if oversprayed.
Repeat step 2.
Wipe down with old towels, dry as much as feasibly possible.
Let air dry to finish drying.
Spray WD-40 or cheap alternative on any metal surfaces. Rubber, plastic, etc. optional.
Otherwise, use a rubber protectant on rubber, plastic, etc. surfaces.
Wipe off all extra and finish drying.

I've done this for all my vehicles. I don't cover anything. Never had a problem. The engine and bay always look spotless.

Good advice everyone. I'll cover the alternator just to be safe and run it down to the do-it-yourself carwash.

I guess none of you guys drive in heavy rain?

A little common sense goes a long way. Use plain hot/high pressure water, any soaps just make it penetrate where you don't want it to go.

We routinely wash the underhood areas of our vans and trucks with hot high pressure water spray. The rule is to make sure it gets driven at least a few miles after completion!

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
For after you have cleaned your soft rubber hoses off, the AEROSPACE 303 Protectant is an incredible product for any black vinyl or hoses you want to look shinny and smooth. I get it from my local ACE Hardware. Just a thought.

Definitely cover your distributor, alternator, and avoid spraying the cleaner on anything electrical directly(a little water may not hurt), and don't spray into the air intake(if easily accessible).

Use electrical cleaner to clean all of your wires and connectors, electrical grease is good for packing them and reconnecting it all to avoid the need for future cleaning there either.

Definitely don't have the car running, but if it was heated up prior, it may help with the cleaning process. Unless you want the cleaner to soak without any heat activating it too soon.

Plus 1! I apply Aerospace 303 with a rag or sponge on a stick to the applicable parts after washing the engine bay and it makes the engine bay look brand new. I love it!

Depends on how grimey it is. Dusty dirt is no problem and easily cleaned but if there is grease / oil then I change my approach.

Many different good products remove "general" dirt and light oil (Simple Green, Meguires APC+, etc.). Heavy grease and oil may need a stronger product.

I work on a cool engine only. Place newspaper on windshield and over wipers. I usually cover the alternator (and distributor is present) in aluminum foil. Hose down with water, not too stong of a spray. Spray on cleaner and use assortment of brushes to aggitate, then rinse WELL. (I have and do use a pressure washer, set to WIDE pattern, held 2 feet away, but ONLY on dusty engines, i.e., not oily or greasy engines.)

Remove foil shields and hand clean those areas that were covered.

I use a leaf blower to dry the engine and remove pools of water.

Remove overspray from painted surfaces.

Once dry there are many "dressing" products you can use. I found Stoner Trim Shine to work as well as (or better than) the expensive stuff and better than most other otc products. Spray everything to coat but not so much as to cause much dripping/running. Allow to dry.

Remove paper coving from windshield and wiper cowl areas.

This engine (below) had 112,000 miles when pics were taken.

IMG_8123.jpg

IMG_8135.jpg

Regards,
GEWB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back