Want snow? I got yer snow right here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
FirstViewoutthegarage.jpg

Drift.jpg

barespot.jpg

Thisallhastogosomewhere.jpg

Took a couple of hours to dispatch this. Whoever invented the snowthrower better be insanely rich or society has done the person a grave injustice....

Originally Posted By: Johnny
crackmeup2.gif
So what are you complaining about? I've had more snow than that since Thanksgiving.
yeah, but you're supposed to get more snow up there!

I think I got more use out of that Toro today alone than I have in most winters, and I don't ever remember running through 2 tankfuls of gas like I did today.

Originally Posted By: opus1
Originally Posted By: Johnny
crackmeup2.gif
So what are you complaining about? I've had more snow than that since Thanksgiving.
yeah, but you're supposed to get more snow up there!

I think I got more use out of that Toro today alone than I have in most winters, and I don't ever remember running through 2 tankfuls of gas like I did today.

What kind of Toro do you have? I hate it like the dickens when the wind blows and those darn snowdrifts pile up in front of the garage door. Make the first fifteen feet of blowing a real chore.

Toro CCR 2450. It's about 10 years old, was a housewarming gift from Mom & Dad when I built the place (which reminds me, I have to thank her again -- I already thanked him when I opened the garage and saw the drifts). We've had some big snows in my time here, but today was the first time I had that large of a drift in front of my garage and the mess that the plow left has never been that deep. I probably spent half of my time knocking the drifts down onto areas that I cleared so the machine could deal with it, but it beat shoveling that mess.

And I was a nice guy and helped the neighbor that didn't have a plow service with his driveway. He's been on my you-know-what list because he never reciprocates after I shovel his walk, but today was a different story.
wink.gif

Out here in Southern California it is dry as a bone. I wish we had all that water.

Snow here is a function of altitude. I drove over to Mt. Baldy Village the other day with a friend. It was about 40 degrees there and raining. We ate @ The Buckhorn, and decided to see the snow so we drove about 4 miles from the Village to where it was snowing like mad and about 20 degrees. After slipping as I had no chains on I suggested we leave the snow. I put the car into low gear to go down hill and after about 1000 yards we were in the rain zone again. Ten minutes later we were back at the Village and by then the sun was shining there.

Last edited:
Makes me think about driving in Nevada the day after last Thanksgiving east of Death Valley. It was bone dry, 6 degrees, and not a speck of snow or ice was in sight.

snowyjan11.jpg

When it gets bad that pile between house & garage reaches the 2nd story roof. My cat climbed up and was looking in the upstairs bedroom like... dude... whatcha doin?

One should also note the dormer has metal roofing and the lower roof asphalt shingles. They're done next summer. I want teflon roofing! The door frames aren't square anymore from all the weight.
frown.gif

Whoa, Dan. That must have been the "lake effect"; out towards the Fox River it was sunny pretty early in the day.

Originally Posted By: Cristobal
Out here in Southern California it is dry as a bone. I wish we had all that water.

Snow here is a function of altitude. I drove over to Mt. Baldy Village the other day with a friend. It was about 40 degrees there and raining. We ate @ The Buckhorn, and decided to see the snow so we drove about 4 miles from the Village to where it was snowing like mad and about 20 degrees. After slipping as I had no chains on I suggested we leave the snow. I put the car into low gear to go down hill and after about 1000 yards we were in the rain zone again. Ten minutes later we were back at the Village and by then the sun was shining there.

Yes, it is possible to snow skiing in the morning and swimming in the ocean in the afternoon in So Cal.

Not much here outside Buffalo. We were expecting a bit of a monster, it wimpered out. Maybe 4-6 inches here of heavy wet snow. No problem at all.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
snowyjan11.jpg

When it gets bad that pile between house & garage reaches the 2nd story roof. My cat climbed up and was looking in the upstairs bedroom like... dude... whatcha doin?

One should also note the dormer has metal roofing and the lower roof asphalt shingles. They're done next summer. I want teflon roofing! The door frames aren't square anymore from all the weight.
frown.gif

That's the kind of snows I remember while living in Bath, Me. in the 70s. I notice smoke coming out of your chimney. I used two wood stoves when I lived there and six cordes of hard wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back