Auto sliding down a hill

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hello,

How feasible is it for a parked car to slide down a hill when it is parked there and water/ice gets under the tires?

My first driveway section is sloped, maybe 30 degrees, and is right next to the house. I like to park there for snowstorms as it keeps it dry/snow free and less slippery for going up/down it after.

It is currently wet on the slope (concrete). We have a snow/ice storm coming. Id like to park there but am a bit worried that the water under the tires freeze, density reduces, lifts up a bit - less contact. Then the ice storm comes through, creates an opportunity to have a very slippery surface right in the structure of the concrete. Sure is slippery to walk on. Wouldnt want my car to slide down.

Ive seen images of cars sliding down icy hills before, but I believe typically they were in motion. Can a parked car get enough freezing underneath that in an ice storm it can slide down a relatively steep incline? Figure folks from a bit further north than I might have an idea if such a thing has ever occurred.

doubt it would move. only way it would slide down parked is if there was a heavy current/mud slide. Plenty of people I know in Haledon/North Haledon NJ that live on some really diesel hills.

Doesn't happen. There's a dry spot under the tires. If water does run up against your tires then freezes it makes little icy "wheel chocks" that make a velcro-ey noise when they break loose when you have to gun it to go downhill.

If you are concerned, maybe chock the wheels tonight before the ice comes for a little piece of mind and turn the wheels some way to minimize how far it would go if it did slide.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Can a parked car get enough freezing underneath that in an ice storm it can slide down a relatively steep incline?
I don't think so. My guess is the freezing rain and ice would actually help anchor the car as ice would build up on the ground around the tires and somewhat into the tread, giving the effect of the car "sinking" through the ice to the driveway beneath.

I once parked a 5 ton truck in a Motel parking lot (slight slope).
the lot was icy, but I had good traction going in. About two hours later I got a call to say my Truck had slid up alongside another truck in the lot!
It was very difficult getting the two trucks apart, without causing damage.

Yes, a parked car on icy pavement can slide down a hill by itself. It happened to one of my sister's coworkers just a few weeks ago in Columbia SC. She had parked at the top of a hill in the morning, and by the end of the shift, her car had slid downhill . . . and into another coworker's car. The hard frozen slush probably got more slippery as the day warmed up.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
There's a dry spot under the tires.

That's what concerns me... The ground isnt currently dry, I parked on wet and slightly icy concrete.

I think your biggest danger is the first minutes after parking; your compacting the ice heated it slightly and wet ice is more slippery than dry.

However the coefficient of static friction is better than sliding, so if you can manage to get it stopped it will take more to get it moving again.

I'm not sure even chocking the wheels will stop it from sliding for sure, because the chocks themselves could easily slide, but that seems to be the best idea. If you could brace it all the way to the house that would do it.

Parking on wet-soon to be icy pavement on a slope?

People really aren't bright enough to toss a little ice melt or sand down in a situation like that?

It really never crossed your mind to toss down some traction before parking?

The wetness will freeze to the contact patch of tires and hold the car in place. If the car is not moving now it won't with more ice forward and aft as that is a build up.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Doesn't happen. There's a dry spot under the tires. If water does run up against your tires then freezes it makes little icy "wheel chocks" that make a velcro-ey noise when they break loose when you have to gun it to go downhill.

01.gif
My truck is parked outside on a very steep driveway and exactly like eljefino stated. In fact I've had to put it in 4-low to get it unstuck from the pavement at times!

Bill

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Parking on wet-soon to be icy pavement on a slope?

People really aren't bright enough to toss a little ice melt or sand down in a situation like that?

It really never crossed your mind to toss down some traction before parking?

(a) I dont HAVE to park there. It is merely for convenience in shoveling the sloped area.

(b) This requires going back and forth to get the stuff to throw all over just to get back to park. A hassle. At that point I might as well drive up and park normally

(c) This is a question of experience, as frankly, given the way our storms have fluctuated from ice to rain, the salt or sand could get flushed away, negating its effect. Do I really want to chance anything? no. Thus why Im asking for real world experiences and not just doing something willy-nilly.

(d) Im a fan of driving for the conditions and being careful, not excessive salt use which merely rots a car out. I dont own salt at my home, as I will not use it, and it will ruin some of the concrete stairs and sidewalks that were original to our home.

I saw a semi jack knife on Snoqualmie Pass AFTER he came to a complete stop and parked it on a slight slope to put on chains. It was that solid compacted slick-wet snow we get here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back