Mixing 5w20 With 5w30 Or Dino With Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
As others have mentioned mix away.
I usually mix to use up what I already have.

But blindly thickening up an oil to gain "additional protection" makes no sense to me.
And as far as following the guy who "knows his stuff"; does he know more than the engineers who spec'd the oil for your ride? I don't think so. He may have a very valid reason (although I doubt it) for doing what he does, but you haven't mentioned it.
Personally I can't think of a worse reason to deviate from a manufacturer's recommendation.

I've started running 1 quart of Pennzoil Platinum with Pennzoil Yellow Bottle in my vehicles. I'd really like to run the Pennzoil Gold Blend but I've yet to see it in a store. I emailed Pennzoil and there's no problem with making my own blend.

Originally Posted By: Slick17601
I've started running 1 quart of Pennzoil Platinum with Pennzoil Yellow Bottle in my vehicles. I'd really like to run the Pennzoil Gold Blend but I've yet to see it in a store. I emailed Pennzoil and there's no problem with making my own blend.

why ?

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
As others have mentioned mix away.
I usually mix to use up what I already have.

But blindly thickening up an oil to gain "additional protection" makes no sense to me.
And as far as following the guy who "knows his stuff"; does he know more than the engineers who spec'd the oil for your ride? I don't think so. He may have a very valid reason (although I doubt it) for doing what he does, but you haven't mentioned it.
Personally I can't think of a worse reason to deviate from a manufacturer's recommendation.

are you talking about dr haas ?

No I wasn't thinking of Ali Haas, and of course he is running a somewhat lighter oil than specified in his toys not thicker so his philosophy is 100% contrary to the OP's mechanic friend. He also has oil pressure and oil temp' gauges in his cars consiquently he is not experimenting blindly.

His real message is two fold: Firstly, that the lightest 20wt oil you can buy is thicker than optimum on start-up and until you get a fair amount of heat in the oil to thin it out.
Secondly, as long as you maintain the minimum oil pressure as specified by the manufacturer the grade of oil you use is of no importance.

I'll also point out that he runs the factory spec' oil (Motorcraft 5W-20 I believe) in his Ford Explorer. This oil btw is considerably lighter than the RLI 0W-20 he runs in some of his toys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back