Change oil before or after road trip?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I've a 99 Chevy S-10 with 125k. I usually change the oil around 3500-4000 miles, because I do a lot of short trips. The truck now has 3000 miles in the oil, and I will do a road trip of 750 miles in total. That means that when I'm back I should be changing the oil. In that case, is it better to change it before I go? what do you think?

Your oil is in the sweet spot for low wear. Change it when you get back! Long Highway trips are EASY on oil(Qual: if you are driving within 10MPH of the speedlimit and not towing a three-tonne trailer
wink.gif
- short trips in the cold are HARD one on oil.

Last edited:
I have made trips in excess of 2000K with as much as 8K on the oil with no problems at all. This was with syn. oil.

Thank you for the answers, I see there is a consensus. I will follow your advice then.
BTW, the oil I'm using is Kendall Super-D3 15w40.

Originally Posted By: oravla
the oil I'm using is Kendall Super-D3 15w40.

Thats even more of a reason to wait. HDEO

Originally Posted By: mongo161
Originally Posted By: daman
the oil I'm using is Kendall Super-D3 15w40.

Thats even more of a reason to wait. HDEO

+1

+1 if it was dirty now would also be a good time for MMO.
no worries

No Brainer
33.gif

Change the oil and filter, you already have 3K stop and go miles and for sure that oil is dirty and full of contaminants,750 miles of high speed driving with fresh oil and filter will benefit your engine and your piece of mind or you wouldn't be asking this ?

When in doubt, change it out early. There is no harm other then to your wallet if you do maintance early. Plus, it will give you some time to check over your rig to ensure it is in proper running order and all fluids are up to spec before you go on the trip.

You actually have more engine wear, iirc with fresh oil than oil that's been used for a little while. I don't remember the mechanics of it exactly, but that's what I've heard. Leave it in, that is nothing. I will be taking a 1,300 mile trip, likely at the end of my OCI around 7,500 miles, and will do it happily. 80% of my ~80 mile a day commute is highway anyway, so if it wasn't for warranty I could probably run out to at least 10k miles. You are running an HDEO, I've seen UOAs of big industrial engines with tens of thousands of hours, or miles on those and they still come out with great UOAs. Leave it in.

Hi everyone,

I've a 99 Chevy S-10 with 125k. I usually change the oil around 3500-4000 miles, because I do a lot of short trips. The truck now has 3000 miles in the oil, and I will do a road trip of 750 miles in total. That means that when I'm back I should be changing the oil. In that case, is it better to change it before I go? what do you think?
09.gif
to this whole post. I mean...really????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back