Scared to death (going back to school)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys. I don't usually share a lot of personal stuff on here, but I need an encouraging word. I've been out of work for over 6 months now, and am not getting any callbacks for any jobs I've applied for. The time has come, and my wife and I have agreed that I need to go back to school. I want to study nursing, and hope to eventually become a Registered Nurse.

I attended community college from 1991-1992 studying drafting and design, but left school when my father died in '92 and never completed my degree. Fortunately I've made a good living the past 20 years doing drafting/design work, but I'm having no luck finding a new job. I haven't been to college in nearly 20 years, am fairly certain all the credits I earned are long gone, so I'll have to start from scratch.....and I am scared to death of going back (not sure why). I need some encouragement to take my first step.

Thanks,
WW

IMO, you couldn't pick a better career choice for pay, job availability and mobility. Shows you did your homework....which is what most graduates skip nowadays! You'll feel better after a few days of classes. Good choice!

Last edited:
Male RN-s don't have to work the floor as they very quickly are elevated to management due to their gender. If you can pull off the studies, the clinical and the test, you'll be OK.

Good luck.

Most important thing is to make the first step. You'd be totally fine. You might even have some fun (I know I didn't when I went to University). But even the fact that you're trying to improve yourself speaks a lot of your character. Just be determined and persistent. If you know you have to do it - just do it. No need to dread over your fears.

"Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its joy"

Don't worry about it. I was 34 when I finally finished at a university. When I graduated from high school I was "never" going to go to a 4 year school, but that changed later in life. Being older and more mature gives you a huge advantage over the young punks in your classes.

Don't take this the wrong way, but perhaps the reason you're not getting any drafting jobs is because you don't have that degree in drafting. Mechanic drafting to nursing is a big switch; have you thought about pursuing or finishing your mechanic drafting/design degree?

Don't be scared! My brother at age 34 is getting his degree in electrical engineering currently and he's had to start from scratch for the basics like English! He's doing like 3rd grade English stuff.

Hang in there Wayne; I'm kind of going through the same stuff. Just quit (or was told to leave) my job after 2 months for basically telling my incompetent boss to [censored] off. I'm thinking about going back to school as well. For what, I have no clue.

cheers3.gif

You don't faint when you see blood or other fluids? Or have back problems? You'll be fine then!
I think you'll actually be surprised how your extra life and work experience will make school not as tough as you might think. Your teachers will probably be the friendliest and easiest boss's you've had to please as well.
I've taught some college courses and the adult students got their stuff done on time, asked for help when they needed it and were very successful. You can tell they didn't finish their assignments the night before, like half of the young students do...

Take a deep breath and just go for it.

Chances are there will be at least one other seasoned student besides yourself. Also realize that everyone in the various classes are basically on the same level as you are or else they wouldn't be there, but you are different than they are as you will have more maturity and practical knowledge than most of them do. That practical knowledge directly applies in your study habits and understanding of new concepts. You most likely adopted new ideas and concepts quite frequently in the job you had, this is no different.

In addition you are serious about what you are doing whereas the younger ones don't have that type of outlook and determination, as they haven't been where you have.

Life and job experience have very transferable skills...you can do it.

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Don't take this the wrong way, but perhaps the reason you're not getting any drafting jobs is because you don't have that degree in drafting...

You are most likely 100% right about that.

Thanks to all of you guys for the kind words. I plan to visit the college I will be attending tomorrow to fill out an admissions application, and look into financial aid. I should be able to qualify for some sort of financial aid, since my wife is the only one working (teacher) and we have 2 children. If not, I'll apply for a student loan, since there is no way I can pay for school out of pocket right now.

Thanks again, BITOGers.

Do not be scared, be excited. School is key... I am constantly trying to figure out what to do with myself (next step) and school is almost 100% always in the equation.

Even for getting computer certifications, school is almost required (especially for higher level certs)

You can't get anywhere without education thesedays.

I agree with going back to school. My wife just finished her first semester of College after 10 years of working in the cosmetology field. I think her lowest grade was a B+. She is more focused than I was in college, mainly due to age. I was chasing skirts in college, she is in college for the right reason to LEARN.

But at this point you should know yourself well enough to know what YOU WANT TO DO!
Sure, some of it is about making ends meet when you graduate, but if you are miserable in that career field you wasted your time in college.

I have been out of work for the past 3 months. During those 3 months I have gone to dozens of meetings and Career Development classes. All of them say much about doing the thing YOU LOVE to make a living.
The Passion makes the difference.
Although the economy is supposedly turning around the people hiring are looking for the perfect candidate that has PASSION for the work at hand.
Job seekers fail to realize that interviewers know the difference between "I'm Desperate and need a job" and "I would love to work for you in this capacity because..."

Do what you love. If that is Nursing then you have your work cut out for you. I say go and do it. It will be very tough, I have friends who just graduated from a nursing school and are now full time employees at one of the major hospitals around here.
It was tough for them, their wives, and their children, but they love what they do.
There is a great deal to be said about that alone.

Man you`ve picked THEE BEST field to get into! I,too,never finished college. I was going for pharmacy and just got burned out on sitting in a classroom. After suffering for years working for a sleazy retail chain,I`m slowly but surely convincing myself to go back to school. You made the right choice! My advice to anyone who`s either in college,getting ready to start,or returning...............learn a trade! DO NOT waste time or money studying business or liberal arts,or you`ll be working as a retail cashier. Of course the college isnt going to tell you that because they want you tuition money.

Honestly I would say that feeling scared is a good thing. Pressure really helps people perform well. I'd have been more concerned if you thought it would be a cakewalk.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Honestly I would say that feeling scared is a good thing. Pressure really helps people perform well. I'd have been more concerned if you thought it would be a cakewalk.

I agree. I think you will take it more seriously. Plus you are older now and know more about what you can handle, when to ask the professor for help, etc. Good luck!

John

You're not alone... I'm finishing up my Bachelor's Degree at 39.

It's not as difficult as you may think. I was in your position as well. You need to set your mind to doing it, and do it.

I worried about past credits as well. However, over 95% of my junior college credits (from 1989-1992) were accepted, and I transferred in to a U.S. News and World Reports Top 100 University a junior. When I realized that, I knew I had to do it. This is my last semester (taking 18 hours to get finished.)

Colleges have finally figured out that adult learners are better students than the kids, and we're a lot more responsible as well.

You are going back as a more mature, wise adult with real-world experience on your backing. This is a valuable asset/experience that many of your younger colleagues would be really envious of.

Don't worry about it. Just go back and enjoy the ride...

Q.

You can do it Wayne. Go for it.
thumbsup2.gif

And YES, have all your transcripts checked. You may be surprised by how many hours can be applied.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
Hi guys. I don't usually share a lot of personal stuff on here, but I need an encouraging word. I've been out of work for over 6 months now, and am not getting any callbacks for any jobs I've applied for. The time has come, and my wife and I have agreed that I need to go back to school. I want to study nursing, and hope to eventually become a Registered Nurse.

I attended community college from 1991-1992 studying drafting and design, but left school when my father died in '92 and never completed my degree. Fortunately I've made a good living the past 20 years doing drafting/design work, but I'm having no luck finding a new job. I haven't been to college in nearly 20 years, am fairly certain all the credits I earned are long gone, so I'll have to start from scratch.....and I am scared to death of going back (not sure why). I need some encouragement to take my first step.

Thanks,
WW

Don't be so sure about your credits. Between those and your work experience, you may be able to work something out.

This is an excellent time to go back to school. The economy needs some time to rebound, and in all likelihood it won't go anywhere but up from here. You'll have a better chance of finding a job in a few years; if you've been going to school in that time, your chances will be even better than that.

Also, nursing is a noble profession. You should be proud to pursue it.

What are you afraid of? You may be in a tough spot, but as far as what really counts, you have everything going for you. Go for it!

You'll do fine...it will be a good change.

Scares me to think that I really want to go back to school. I miss the whole learning part of it. Almost feel like I am getting dumb(er) without it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back