Larger muffler for a Tecumseh Snow King?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Lawn boy 522r 2 stage blower with the 5.0 horsepower Tecumseh Snow King engine. The engine runs really well, but it is the loudest engine I have among all of my other small engines (i.g, louder than my B&S mower, Toro 2450 single stage blower, Subaru powered generator, etc.). I see that it has the smallest muffler of all the engines I own and was wondering if there was an aftermarket, or otherwise alternative muffler that can bolt on that would make it quieter. I wear ear protection whenever I use any of my OPE, but I'm thinking about noise my family hears in the house and the neighbors. Thanks.
-Steve

There are many styles of mufflers that go on small engines.
Might be best to check with a Tecucseh dealer/repair shop.
The threads may be unique to that brand engine.
Given the room available, a newer Tecumseh muffler may work, B&S may use the same thread, check out what's available for that engine.
To restrictive a muffler would cut down power.

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
There are many styles of mufflers that go on small engines.
Might be best to check with a Tecucseh dealer/repair shop.
The threads may be unique to that brand engine.
Given the room available, a newer Tecumseh muffler may work, B&S may use the same thread, check out what's available for that engine.
To restrictive a muffler would cut down power.

It's a fact of life that small engines (for the most part) are noisy.

The Lawnboy 2 cycles that dumped exhaust out the bottom were the quietest I have seen.

Honda's are "quiter" than some I think.

As far as muffler suggestions..it's a trial by error thing for you I beleive.

You might be able to find a spark arrestor attachment for that muffler. I've seen them where they mount over the muffler outlet with a sheet metal screw. This style is just a round flanged disk with holes and a round screen for the inside.

If it is loud now, it will be much quieter in the snow. Snow is an excellent sound deadening material.

I have a 4 year old Areins with 5.5 Tecumseh, and it is loud in the fall/spring when I do maintenance on it, but very quiet when put to work in 2 feet of snow.

Originally Posted By: blueiedgod
If it is loud now, it will be much quieter in the snow. Snow is an excellent sound deadening material.

I have a 4 year old Areins with 5.5 Tecumseh, and it is loud in the fall/spring when I do maintenance on it, but very quiet when put to work in 2 feet of snow.

In the summer when I mow the lawn I wear hearing protection, but in the winter I just wear a ski hat. I never really felt that my 2-cycle Toro snowblower was that loud and I guess the thick ski hat muffles the sound enough (sometimes I put on my hood as well if the wind is blowing hard). When I ran this 'new' snowblower with the 5hp Tec L-head the other day it seemed *really* loud, but maybe as you stated it will be better when I'm knee deep in snow.

I don't feel the need to wear hearing protection when using my mower or trimmer (Honda Masters HR215 and Echo SRM-210) but when I use my 1986 Toro 824 with the 8hp Sno-King L-head, it is absolutely mandatory.

When I'm testing it out in summer-like weather with no noise-absorbing snow around it is LOUD, echos off of all the neighbours houses, and brings people to their windows wondering what's going on. In the winter it doesn't seem nearly as loud, but sometimes brings people to their windows hoping I'm going to clear their driveway
LOL.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Craig in Canada
I don't feel the need to wear hearing protection when using my mower or trimmer (Honda Masters HR215 and Echo SRM-210) but when I use my 1986 Toro 824 with the 8hp Sno-King L-head, it is absolutely mandatory.

When I'm testing it out in summer-like weather with no noise-absorbing snow around it is LOUD, echos off of all the neighbours houses, and brings people to their windows wondering what's going on. In the winter it doesn't seem nearly as loud, but sometimes brings people to their windows hoping I'm going to clear their driveway
LOL.gif

When I use my trusty Snow King L-head blower, not only to I have ear protection on, but I went around my block and gave everyone a set of ear plugs for their protection. These suckers are pretty loud.

I made the mistake the other day of waking it up from its summer slumber in my garage with the door closed. Ouch!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Saturn_Fan

I made the mistake the other day of waking it up from its summer slumber in my garage with the door closed. Ouch!

Indeed... That's this weekend for me...

I have a 2000 10hp Snow King L-head engine on a Ariens ST1028. it has a large muffler but it is SO loud it wakes my young kids up when I use it to go to work. It looks to be bolted to the engine with two bolts?

Originally Posted By: shortlid
I have a 2000 10hp Snow King L-head engine on a Ariens ST1028. it has a large muffler but it is SO loud it wakes my young kids up when I use it to go to work. It looks to be bolted to the engine with two bolts?

Those 10hp's are crazy loud at max governed speed. I've got one at my mom's house on a ~2002 model year MTD snowblower.

That's the nice thing about the OHV Tecumseh's (or others). I swear they're ~50% quieter on the exhaust note.

Joel

You could look for a muffler at www.partstree.com If they have a muffler made for that engine it would cost less than retro-fitting one.

If you do decide to retro-fit one, the cost of all of the parts will add up.

Most engines have female pipe thread in the exhaust port.
If you remove the muffler you can see it. You can thread black pipe that you get from a hardware store to that connection. You should use a section of flex pipe (you can get it from McMaaster-Carr) so that when the engine moves it does not damage the exhaust. You will have to get someone with a lathe to machine a cup shaped part to addapt the pipe to a small auto muffler. Advance Auto Parts sells a muffler part no. from the side of this muffler 18677 9 245 You can weld mounts to the heat shield on this muffler without putting a hole in the muffler, or have someone weld it for you, but be sure to tell them to not burn through the muffler.

Even if you do add a muffler to your engine, only half of the noise is from the exhaust. The other half is from the intake, and the internal parts.

The Chonda on our snowblower is relatively quiet when "idling" but put the thing under load and good god it is LOUD. The exhaust just blasts out like nothing I've ever heard.

If you add a muffler, you may not notice the reduction in noise when you are using it, but people inside of a house near it will probably not even know it is running.

You will still want ear plugs (you can get those at harbor-freight), and also use the head seat with them.

Last edited:
I use the ear protection that covers my ears because it keeps them warm! Sometimes I leave them on when I'm shoveling too (so I don't have to go back in the house and find a hat).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back