Do you suck your oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will come out of the closet. I am an oil filter sucker. When I buy a new filter, I always suck on the center hole to see if I can overcome the resistance of the valve. I do this ever since about 20 years ago some mechanic complained to me about sticky one-way valves that he said would not allow oil through.
I do not recall the brand the mechanic mentioned but it was not an Orange Can Of Death.

I never suck on nasty used filters. I wonder if this behavior is weird, perverted, or just superfluous.

I am a filter sucker. How about YOU?

Last edited:
50.gif
Say what?

I'm a blower ... not a sucker - I leave that to the vacuum cleaner.
lol.gif

I blow down the center hole to test if the ADBV is sealing a 100% or not. Some leak, most don't. If it doesn't leak with air, it won't leak with oil.

Then I suck on the hole with a vacuum cleaner when I get it home to ensure that no thread cutting debris is down inside the clean core of the filter.

Do both a blow and suck ... that's where it's at!
smile.gif

I got to tell you folks, that I suck my oil filters in out of the way places. I have only had one person walk up on me while I was going to town on an oil filter, and it was embarrassing.

A narrow blunt nosed tool should be used to check A ADBV.Hold the tool nearly flat against the base plate and push the tool to open each port.The tool should touch the inside of the can near where it is crimped to the bp.the fram extra guard nearly always has the adbv glued to the bp preventing oil from entering.I've never seen this problem with the wix,napa or puro. filters.I wouldn't suck a filter myself,but I guess it could be the basis of forming a new secret society replete with a secret handshake etc..

I read people saying that this is a test of quality in the past, and Ive tested filters that way on occasion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back