94 Chevy truck oil recommedations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The cars got rollers earlier, as far as I can find my 89 Caprice 305 TBI has a roller cam. I cannot verify it for sure as I've not had anything apart on it.

The 305 in my 93 c1500 has a roller cam.
I don't believe its the original engine.
Bryceban is correct, from the factory it would have had flat tappet cam. I think some of the replacement engines had the roller cam

The SBC block was converted in '87 to accept roller cam, one-piece rear main seal, and some other changes center-bolt valve covers, pc valve seals etc. The cars usually had roller cams. I guess it depends on the engine VIN.

Yeah cars got roller as standard a lot earlier than the trucks. There are also many earlier one piece rear main seal blocks that have the bosses in the oil valley for the spider roller retainer hold downs but they are not taped and threaded. So not actually a full roller ready block.........

Yeah I think the trucks didn't get the retainer bosses tapped till after ~90' and somewhere around or after ~94' they got the roller cams.

Ive seen some late TBI trucks that had roller cams. I think the oldest was a 1993. I wonder if they used some left over TBI Long Blocks from the B-Body after they went LT1?

To add to the mystery- my 94 Chevy Silverado- 5.7L just had the IMG replaced, and it had non-roller lifters, and was very clean (except for the usual varnish) QS4X4 & GB most of its life.
56.gif

Originally Posted By: super44
To add to the mystery- my 94 Chevy Silverado- 5.7L just had the IMG replaced, and it had non-roller lifters, and was very clean (except for the usual varnish) QS4X4 & GB most of its life.
56.gif

How many miles you got on your 94?

Originally Posted By: super44
Got 117K on it. The engine had never been opened up until the IM gasket work about a week ago.

I see, I have heard of intake gaskets being a problem on some of these but thought it was mostly the vortec's. I have been lucky. So far: 1-starter, 2-alternators, 1-radiator, 1-transmission(radiator leaked coolant into trans cooler lines and washed out my clutches), 2-rear diffs, 2-fuel pumps(don't buy anything but OEM fuel pumps) I'm still on my factory water pump, a/c compressor!

Update: I put on about 300-400 miles of boat pulling again and not a drop of oil used. Difference was this time I was not nearly as loaded and was running in OD doing about 60 mph(1800 rpm) as opposed to 3rd gear and 70-75 mph (2800-3000 rpm)

Mine has been pretty good, but must admit its seen extremely light duty. I drive it about 6 miles a day and about 50 miles every couple of weeks. Very, very little towing, and the bed is almost perfect. Front end is getting a little loose though. 1 transmission rebuild back when it was under warranty, 1 water pump, 2 alt, 1 IM gasket and that's it!
U-joints are next. The ole engine has a slight knock at startup for bout 1/4 sec till the oil pressure rises, like the normal noise after oil change before oil pick up(piston slap
21.gif
) but seems to be normal. Done some experimenting with different oils in it. There was a very marked increase in top end noise with M1 5w40 and 10w40HM.
27.gif
and with Maxlife 10w-40, I've got GTX 20w50 in it now for a QUICK flush after the the IM gasket work, and it's just as noisey, but the oil pressure seems to be the same as with any of the 5w30's tried- that seems to suggest bearings are stil fairly tight.
Favoites--- Any SOPUS 5w or 10w30, and 15w40 Delo.

Resurrecting an old thread. I have a 94 Z71 190k. 2nd owner bought it with 120k. I have replaced the alternator, fuel pump, changed tranny fluid, changed rear diff fluid, replaced shocks, 1 ball joint, and front axles. Truck is used for hauling and towing. Added flowmaster, airraid, throttle body spacer, plugs, wires, and motorvation stage 2 chip. A few months ago the truck started running rough going on for weeks. I couldn't find anything causing it. Finally it died for 45 minutes at a stop light and came back to life on its own. When I got home I removed and reseated the motorvation chip and it has run fine ever since. It is cooler due to the winter but I am not sure if it was the heat or the chip. Has anyone had a similiar issue? I love this truck and plan on keeping it for a long time. It is paid for and does everything I want it to do.

Originally Posted By: pondfishr
Resurrecting an old thread. I have a 94 Z71 190k. 2nd owner bought it with 120k. I have replaced the alternator, fuel pump, changed tranny fluid, changed rear diff fluid, replaced shocks, 1 ball joint, and front axles. Truck is used for hauling and towing. Added flowmaster, airraid, throttle body spacer, plugs, wires, and motorvation stage 2 chip. A few months ago the truck started running rough going on for weeks. I couldn't find anything causing it. Finally it died for 45 minutes at a stop light and came back to life on its own. When I got home I removed and reseated the motorvation chip and it has run fine ever since. It is cooler due to the winter but I am not sure if it was the heat or the chip. Has anyone had a similiar issue? I love this truck and plan on keeping it for a long time. It is paid for and does everything I want it to do.

Very well could of been the aftermarket chip. I love my truck too and it does absolutely every thing I need from a pick-up. Fullsizechevy.com is a good place to check out with a lot of info on our trucks...

Last edited:
bryceban, I had a simialr truck, a 1995 GMC K1500 Z-71 350 TBI 3.73 w/ 14 bolt. I was sad the day I had to sell it!

It would consume oil but when I switched to Valvoline Maxlife 10-30, the consumption was reduced and the leaking from the rear main seal stopped.. This was the Full Synthetic version, but I suspect the Semi-Syn would work just as well.

Yes, you are correct about only using AC Delco fuel pumps!

Another common problem with the TBI's are the EGR's and IAC's. A Haynes Manual will show you how to troubleshoot them with a volt/ohm meter. Again, these trucks prefer OEM AC Delco parts !

there are a couple of websites with a ton of TBI info.

there is a Camaro TPI site that has good TBI info on it as well.

God luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back