Best Way to Tie-Down Sheetrock to Car Rack

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering what's the best way to secure a 4' x 8' x 1/2" piece of sheetrock to my station wagon's roof rack, using the 'slippery' nylon string the box stores provide. On the diagonal? Side-to-side? What knots hold well with slippery nylon?

The max distance(fore & aft)between my roof rack bars is 5'. The length of each bar is 51". There is about an 1-1/2" gap between the rails that run parallel to the cars length and the top of the crossbars.

Thus, if you cinch it down in the middle from side-to-side, it'll cause the two ends to bend up, which isn't good while driving. Perhaps some spacer here?

Thanks in advance!

Buy a plywood with it, tie the two together. The plywood will protect it.

I'd do a couple lines parallel to the car axles fore and aft, then a third line down the center between the two other lines to really cinch it tight.

This is a recipe for disaster. The twine was tied through the plastic grill and around the rear bumper to something under the car.

HD-Car.jpg

...and I don't think he was a contractor.

It's a wagon?

I had to measure. If I take the back seats out of our PT, I have 38" floor to ceiling. (My Mazda 5-door seats fold flat but the roofline tapers down)

They would have to go in at an angle and you would need something to support it and hold it flat, but you wouldn't need to worry about an errant gust of wind folding it back and crumbling it on the roof.

I can't believe I'm the first to post this. This ought to work, what could go wrong? (Note the sacks of concrete in the back seat). For more info search "Jetta Lumber" on vwvortex.

lumber.jpg

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Waiting for eljefino to post of the picture of 600lbs of drywall on top of a jetta.

Here it is

It crossed my mind.
lol.gif

If that were my jetta I'd trade down for some stock rims and use the cash for a pickup.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
Best way is to rent the home center's truck for $20.

+1

I'm amazed what people will do to avoid taking the easy way out...

The $19.95 for 75 min is well worth it. I've used it a couple of times. It's much better than an "accident" to your vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back