More fuel filter post mortem pics

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJC

1993 Accord ... driving home one night it was running very rough, stumbling, backfiring - and then the engine would rev high. Seemed like it might be a clogged fuel filter and I had one handy. I haven't had any problems since changing so this seems to have been the problem. Don't wait this long!

IMG_2461.jpg

Clean side:

IMG_2463.jpg

IMG_2466.jpg

IMG_2467.jpg

You could have beat on that filter ever so often and got another 5k out of it probably LOL

I myself look over the fuel filter more than any other maintenance item on a gasoline engine..

I think it must have been replaced at least once ... the car now has 363,000 km's on it. The only marking I could find on old filter was 6H03 on bottom so I don't know if it was original.

I had a fuel filter on my Taurus for 90,000 miles. Replaced the first one around 80,000 miles.

The 2nd filter was deposited and drained into a plastic bin where the gas evaporated while I worked on other things.

The filter was literally filled with sand. It is amazing how much junk gets pumped into your gas tank from fill stations.

Looks like the fuel filter did it's job and an even better one when it was sacrificing fuel flow.

You don't get dirt in your tanks from fuel stations at least well used ones that are new. Fill up in the middle of nowhere with really old looking pumps well then ya maybe you might. Most of the dirt comes from actually opening the tank and filling, dirt gets sucked in, dirt sticks to the nozzle. They strain & filter before getting to you tank or else their pumps would live a short life too.

Now on the grapevine a service attendant had told me a station in my area was caught running filters in bypass but he wouldn't or couldn't say which one. So ya that is always a possibility too.

I had a 97 accord with a fuel filter on for 260k GASP.. it's just one of those things you never think about or at least I don't.. anyway it never gave any problems not one. I'm not sure if this is due to the quality of gas (not so when comparing to small engines which seem to eat fuel filters) as mentioned above the actual layer of contaminates filtering any new contaminates... or one I think the most possible is that the quality of pump gas is outstanding, and that small engines, outdoor power equipment etc has fuel filter problems more so from sitting, and the fuel breaking down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back