# of Grease fittings on a 2001 Jeep Cherokee 4WD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I have found all the fittings on suspension (7) but I only found one on the driveshaft. Am I correct?

lessee... both ends of trackbar, 2 on steering drag-link, 3 on the steering cross-link, and upper and lower balljoints (maybe no fittings on the lowers). So that's either 9 or 11 on the front suspension if I count right.

The front driveshaft has a grease fitting at the slip joint. the rear D/S has no grease fitting, but you should occasionally remove it and grease the splines in the slip-yoke at the back of the transfer case. Starting somewhere around 97 or 97, they went to greased splines on the rear driveshaft instead of lubed by transfer case oil. Which is good in that if you break a rear U-joint, you can remove the driveshaft, put it in 4-Hi Part-time, and drive home front-drive style without spilling all your Xfer case fluid. But it adds the step of dropping the D/S every few years to grease those splines. Some guys drill the yoke for a Zerk fitting if they do a lot of offroading in water or mud.

Shoot, I'm missing at least 2.... What's the trackbar attached to?

If any of the U-joints have been replaced they likely have grease zerks, so take a look at each of them.
If someone has put urethane bushings on the sway bars, they usually have grease zerks too.

Last edited:
They are clean. I'm going out Monday and look for the 2 I missed. Everything is on the front end except the shaft, correct?

Originally Posted By: hsd
If any of the U-joints have been replaced they likely have grease zerks, so take a look at each of them.
If someone has put urethane bushings on the sway bars, they usually have grease zerks too.

Originally Posted By: Gebo
Shoot, I'm missing at least 2.... What's the trackbar attached to?

Trackbar runs diagonally from the passenger's side front axle to a bracket on the driver's side uniframe rail. It is parallel to the steering drag link, and its what keeps the axle centered under the truck- if it gets worn, you can get the dreaded "death wobble" :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back