Chevron vs. Schaeffer tractor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am currently comparing Chevron Synthetic THF to the Schaeffer 315 Simplex oil. We have three tractors we wish to use this in, one is a Kubota, so the fluid has to meet the Kubota UDT spec and the JD 20 specs,. Currently running Shell Donax TD in the two John Deeres and Swepco 709 in the Kubota only. I treat the Kubota differently as it accumulates more hours and is used in the higher summer temperatures, it has about 4400. hrs on it.
My thinking is to eliminate the Donax and use a higher quality fluid in all three tractors. The Swepco costs about ten dollars more per gallon than these two fluids, they claim extended drains and all that but I still change it at the 400 hour mark as per the book. I change the JD tractors every season regardless of hours. It is never over. My thinking is switch to better oil and change the JD tractors every other season or at the required hours if that comes first. However still change the Kubota at the 400 hour mark. I am sending the Kubota tractor oil out for anylisis this week and one of the John Deeres. I may use analysis to suggest when to change in the future, but still feel better if I change as required by the book..

I am looking for opinions or experiences with these fluids any comments or real world experience.

Last edited:
I can't give you any experience with the Schaeffer 315 fluid. I am going to change to it when my smallest Kubota is due. I've been running the Royal Purple SyntractorIII in them but it's difficult to aquire and extremely expensive to boot. I use alot of the Schaeffer oils in my tractors and it's been supurb. I'm going to try the 315 based on how pleased I am with their other products. As far as the Chevron product, I have never even seen it much less know where to get it.
The 315 surpasses Kubota's Super UDT specs.

Last edited:
I have a JD compact and 400 hours seems like I change the trans oil too ofter and the filter changes at 200 hours makes me wonder. You can get the Chevron oil at the Chevron oil jobber. I have been using Chevron oil but this oil change will be with Mobil THF since it is priced less.

Both oils are good oils, with Schaeffer's being a good bang for the buck.

If the Schaeffers rep is still a sponsor, maybe he could help you.

we have 1 kubota and several other hyd. applications and use the john deere hy-gard/hy-gard low vis. with zero issues.
i quite honestly don't have any experience with any other hyd. fluids, we have been using the deere oil for over 25 years

That Schaeffer 315 is the first SUDT spec I've heard of other than the Chevron. I've run both the Kubota UDT & SUDT, the SUDT significantly reduces the HST whine in my tractor. I'll have to look into it.

I went through this a few years back and did a bunch of research. My parameters were were a bit different than yours, as mine is old equipment and I need to keep the costs low. I was looking for the "bestest for the leastest," with emphasis on leastest.

One thing I learned was that there is a large gap in quality between the low rent generics (Tractor Supply, Rural King, etc.) and the name brands like JD HyGard and IH HyTran (& others).

Both the fluids you mention are top notch and I'm not sure there is much to choose between them over the long haul. And the DONAX is good stuff too!

One thing I will add is that, IMO, even using the factory fluid, once a year under the hours to too often. I found that even a marginal fluid tests out great for two or three years. If you do a few analysis, you'll find that for yourself. A TAN test will tell the tale.

I'll second the comment on a huge difference between some of the cheap stuff and the good stuff. I've analyzed several over the years.

A big issue with tractors is that any equipment that is connected ends up sharing fluid. This can severely degrade any oil, bringing the good ones to the level of the bad ones. It also shares dirt, that comes in through the microscopic scratches in the hydraulics, the respirators, and various seals. No oil is better than the dirt that ingresses.

Originally Posted By: widman
I'll second the comment on a huge difference between some of the cheap stuff and the good stuff. I've analyzed several over the years.

A big issue with tractors is that any equipment that is connected ends up sharing fluid. This can severely degrade any oil, bringing the good ones to the level of the bad ones. It also shares dirt, that comes in through the microscopic scratches in the hydraulics, the respirators, and various seals. No oil is better than the dirt that ingresses.

This is why I HATE loaning out my hydraulic equipment. One neighbor is particularly bad. His stuff is not nearly as well maintained as mine. THe decision is harder because he's a nice guy... and I owe him, because he helps out a lot, and very willingly. I never let him see but after he uses stuff, I purge the cylinders. The stuff that comes out is always black and nasty. I figure the cylinders can take a little abuse, and I am willing to eat a little oil for the sake of a good neighbor but I don't want that stuff in the final drives and pumps of my tractors. I've hinted that he needs to change that oil, and he agrees but never seems to get around to it. I'm on the cusp or bringing his tractor into my shop and doing the change... at gunpoint if necessary ( : < ) that's a joke, son). Even if it was the cheapest TSC pr RK stuff, it would be better than that nasty stuff.

I have decided to try a drum of the Schaeffer 315 Simplex. I have always been partial to "boutique oil companies". I will keep you posted on my results but it will be in July before I have any real results.

I should have mentioned also. Another big reason was that Schaeffer Company seems to put all their information on the table every spec you can think of is on their PDS. No other company does that, to me that means they are not hiding anything. Even though I have no idea what most of it means! No one else does it.
I am also going to try a case of the Neutra fuel additive and their Bio hydrauic oil in a greens mower. They shipped us a case of #274 grease to try. Will post back in the months to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back