COST to replace Valve Cover Gasket on Jeep 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is a fair price to pay someone for replacing the valve cover gasket on a 4.0 jeep?

Not sure about the work but my brother and i just did his and it took about an hour and was 30 dollars for the gasket.My guess would be about a hundred dollars total.

I reciently did a GC. Piece of cake. Book time was something like 1.8 hrs. I did have to drain the cooling system, I forget exactly why. I think the upper hose was in the way and I had to remove it.

So this is something an "oil & spark plug changer" could do? I wonder what the torque is on the valve cover bolts? Do I just replace the gasket or do I have to use that gasket glue stuff?

My brothers is a 99. It was a one piece gasket and was very easy to do. Yes a "oil and spark plug changer" could do. I radiator hose was in the way and i thought i was going to have to remove it but we were able to get her out of there without messing with it. It would be much easier if you just take the time to remove that hose though. You should be able to find the torque specs somewhere online. Sometimes you can call the local parts store and they can look that up in there computer for you. Good luck

Originally Posted By: 84zmyfavorite
What year Jeep 4.0 is it? 87 thru 95 valve covers require you use RTV to make your own gasket. 96 thru 06 valve covers use a pre made 1 piece gasket.

My first question is: why not do the job yourself?

With a few tools and ALLDATA, most people can change a valve cover gasket unless
they have some kind of physical limitation preventing them from doing so.
21.gif

And you know what's fun about saving money and doing the job yourself? You get to buy tools.
55.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
My first question is: why not do the job yourself?

With a few tools and ALLDATA, most people can change a valve cover gasket unless
they have some kind of physical limitation preventing them from doing so.
21.gif

And you know what's fun about saving money and doing the job yourself? You get to buy tools.
55.gif

Precisely! That is why I was wondering the price. I didn't want to ask my mechanic and then do it myself. Just needed to know if it were a $50 job or a $150 job vs how easy it was to do..

You probably want to buy appropriate torque wrench so that all bolts are tightened same. Also follow the sequence; it is not as critical but whenever multiple bolts are involved, it is better to follow the sequence with the torque wrench.

It's an easy job.

Most public libraries have alldata on their computers you can use for free. It will give you step by step instructions and also gives you the book time it should take and then you just multiply that by whatever your mechanic charges per hour and add materials and you will know the price to have someone do it for you. I take my phone and take pictures of the computer screen instead of writing it all down. You can print it out but they charge for that.

It's a easy job....and hour at best. Get the molded Felpro gasket with the spacers. The spacers prevent you from over-tightening the bolts, of which should be a hair past snug. No RTV or gasket sealer is needed with this gasket either.
I got my gasket from Autozone, PN VS50458R.

Definitely a DIY job. Plan for two hours and be happy when you finish it in less time. I did the cover on my '88 Cherokee with this engine and it was about an hour. Very simple.

Originally Posted By: 84zmyfavorite
What year Jeep 4.0 is it? 87 thru 95 valve covers require you use RTV to make your own gasket. 96 thru 06 valve covers use a pre made 1 piece gasket.

That is not accurate. My 1995 used a cork gasket. I had a Jeep dealer put it on.

you could almost say finger tight then another 3/4 turn on this engine. the upper heater hose may have to come off, you'll spill some coolant but not much.

1/4" ratchet is your friend, deep socket / short extension.

The PCV valve may snap, and the rubber grommet in the cover may be tired. be prepared to R&R if needed.

Please DIY. Mine was sludged big time inside. I took an extra thirty to scrape and vacuum out the goo. Time well spent.

This is not a hard job, and is fun. Clean it while it's off. If you are feeling spunky, hit it with some high-heat spray paint.

Mikey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back