Which would be better for Ranger power steering?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know the manual calls for ATF in the power steering. I have the Ford squealing power steering pump. I've changed it out and used fresh ATF. After a few months, I put some power steering additive that was supposed to quiet the pump down...it did for a while. This thing is still squealing after 2 years. I figure it is time to change the fluid out and I've read that I might have a couple of options.

I have available in my local parts stores...some regular mercon V ATF. Since my last fluid was regular MerconV...I'm not wild about that option. I can put some Mobile1 synthetic in that is supposed to cover everything. My last option is to use Royal Purple power steering fluid, that is also supposed to cover everything. RP also has a synthetic ATF, but that costs more than M1.

So which way would be better? M1 synthetic ATF or RP synthetic power steering fluid?

Thanks for the advice.

If it requires ATF, stick with it.
M1 or RP ATF, and most full synthetic ATFs, are all great choices.

Stick with ATF.

You may have to try a couple different ATFs to find which one, if any, will quiet the pump down. Some Ford PS pumps are just chronically noisy, but work fine otherwise.

Mine has always been completely quiet with Super Tech Mercon V. Just my experience.

Thanks guys. I read some previous posts about some benifits of PSF over ATF. Sounds like M1 it is.

Flush first with cheap ATF. Then install Amsoil with a Magnifine power steer filter. Has quieted down more than a few I have done it to.

Mobil 1 will work as well. Think about it.....Best ATF a cleaned system, and a good filter.

I have the same problem. Drives me nuts.
I thought I solved it this summer with a few drain and fills. But once it got down into the 20's the noise came back with a vengeance.
Been thinking about putting some Lubro Moly MOS2 in there... but am unsure if that would be a good idea.

Given the choices, go with M1 ATF. I've been using Red Line D4 in my PS steering for the last couple years with great results. Any Mercon/Mercon V ATF will work, I'd look to a shear stable synthetic ATF though.

I run the Type F in mine.. but mine's a 93... I've put the redline p/s in it after a flush and as much as I've liked the redline in other cars.. it just doesn't seem to really like the ranger as much.
So in a little bit I'm going back to type F and see what happens, probably gonna add some ATP p/s fluid to it too for a little spice.

In the olden days, the ATF of choice for PS was type F. It was/is more resistant to heat. Not by much, but it is still better. Now that synthetic is readily available, it might be a better choice.

I wish I could run ATF in my PS. PS fluid is almost the same price, so it isn't so bad, but I think ATF is better for hydrulic systems.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456
I have the same problem. Drives me nuts.
I thought I solved it this summer with a few drain and fills. But once it got down into the 20's the noise came back with a vengeance.
Been thinking about putting some Lubro Moly MOS2 in there... but am unsure if that would be a good idea.

I'm internally debating using Lubro Moly in my PS pumps, as well. I'd sure like to see this addressed by the company in print, first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back