2000 Ford Contour Tranny Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend JUST bought (as in yesterday) a 2000 Ford Contour 4 cyl auto transmission. Car has 79k miles on it no CEL nothing. I was driving it home for him today and I noticed that at half throttle in 1st gear when it comes time to shift it will try to shift and then just rev wildly and not move until u take your foot down to about 1/4 throttle, then it shifts into gear and keeps moving. ALSO this happens when using the kickdown gear, but not as badly. Do you think this car needs a new transmission? I know the CD4E isn't know to be a good one. Thanks in advance!!

Well that doesn't sound good but it could be a sludged up valve body. Nothing to lose by trying a fluid exchange maybe with some miracle goo.

Are those trannies non-computerized? I had one in a 97 contour 4 cyl and it was dreadful. Coast down to 5 mph then hit the gas and it would restart in 3rd gear then if you floored it would finally figure out it wanted 1st.

Incidentally did he get it from a dealer? There may be legal recourse especially if you can manage to get it to flunk state inspection.

I hope he didn't pay much. I'm guessing the CD4E is bad. Sad, and scary they still used those in Escapes up through 2008. When mated with a 200hp V6, it was even more awful.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Are those trannies non-computerized

They are computerized, and a shift solenoid problem could be causing this issue.

There would be a stored DTC if that is the case. Also the overdrive light would start blinking. If the overdrive light isn't burned out or hasn't been removed, that is....

Also the transmission range sensor could be causing this issue. Does it do it if you select manual 2nd? If the overdrive light does work but doesn't start blinking when it does this, I'd suspect the range sensor. It should be fairly easy to replace on that one.

interesting...I didn't try manual 2nd. The OD light works, I used it last night to see if it was burned out or removed. The OD light IS NOT blinking and the CEL is not illuminated. He paid $800 for the car.

I saw instructions on line somewhere, the range sensor really messes with taurusses and even crown vics.

You can hit the contacts with an ohm-meter, or get a special box that says what gear it thinks you're in.

Also being a contique, check the wiring for insulation fall-apart.

If it's a scratchy pot the potential is there for it to not be doing it when you're checking it out. IOW could be worth switching out just because.

don't know how much this applies (different model and part #, but the ohms should be the same)

-------------

Wrong Gear Starts

Bad or mis-adjusted MLPS
Can cause wrong gear starts, no upshift, falls out of gear, and high line pressure = harsh upshift and engagements. May or may not set code 67/634 (MLPS out of position).

Note
MLPS is located on driver's side of transmission case.

MLPS adjustment
Place manual lever in Neutral. Line up I.D mark on sensor with l.D. mark on plastic bushing. Tighten bolts.

To check MLPS

1. Hook red lead of DVOM to pin # 199 (MLP sensor signal).
2. Hook black lead of meter to pin 359 (sensor signal return).
3. Set meter to ohms.
4. Move manual lever through the different positions and compare DVOM reading to chart below.

Manuel lever position
Meter should read:
P 3769 to 4608 ohms
R 1304 to 1593 ohms
N 660 to 807 ohms
D .... 361 to 442 ohms
2 190 to 232 ohms
I 80 to 95 ohms

Important
If the MLPS needs replacement, use Ford part # E5TZ-7A247-A. This kit includes a new style harness connector. You must replace the connector to use the new MLPS. By sliding the old wire separator from the original connector up the harness you can leave it in place as you install the new connector. This helps to keep the wires in their original location.

Note
Make sure you clean the harness connector with brake clean and apply some dielectric grease to the pins. This will ensure a good connection. Use Permatex part # 67V (dielectric tune-up grease). You can get it at most auto parts stores.

we are gonna scan the car for codes this weekend, even though the CEL is not on. I think your guys are spot on about the MLPS. He said the car drove fine today. That makes me think its something electrical, as mechanical problems don't usually go away temporarily, they get worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back