Used Hyundai...What Year Did Quality Go Up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at cheap, reliable transportation.

Probably p/s, a/c, auto, or manual. 2 or 4 door.

Accent, Sonata, ect. What year did Hyundai no longer use Mitsubishi drivetrain components?

thanks!

Honestly I don't think it was an overnight type of thing; from what I've seen and heard, it was gradual.

The Hyundai engines have Greek letter names, Alpha, Beta etc. Starting around 1996.

However they used mitsubishi automatic trannys a while later. Or at least lousy ones if not mitsus.

You can get a great hyundai for $500.

The 10 year 100k warranty came out in 1999, so that's the point where they felt comfy with themselves.

Lots of Hyundai owners blow timing belts from neglect at 95-110k though. So if you get one, get on it and don't trust anyone without receipts.

Hyundai cars are built pretty good and have been for about 8 years or so....Unfortunatly the 3.5 v6 i have in my santa fe has a loud start up knocking and i have heard others complain about this...Hyundai says its normal but being in the engine business i know that is not true (many of the 2010-2011 hyundai and kia with the 3.5 v6 make that noise at cold start up but not all of them...
I will bring it back to the dealer for them to listen and tell me that it is normal again just to have it on record...I figure it has a ten year 100,000 mile warrantee so its on them either way...

I wouldn't have any issues about buying anything since they opened their new plant in Alabama, which opened in the summer of 2005.

I rented a Sonata a few years back for a long road trip (I'd guess that it was an '08 model) and I was very impressed with it, even though it was a rental unit.

Here's a little snippet from Wikipedia...

"In 2006, J.D. Power and Associates' quality ranking, overall the Hyundai brand ranked 3rd, just behind Porsche and Lexus, and beating long time rival Toyota.[18] But Hyundai's ranking fell to twelfth in 2007.[19] However, in 2009, Hyundai was the Highest Ranked Non-Premium Nameplate in the J.D. Power and Associates Initial Quality Study.[20]"

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Hyundai cars are built pretty good and have been for about 8 years or so....Unfortunatly the 3.5 v6 i have in my santa fe has a loud start up knocking and i have heard others complain about this...Hyundai says its normal but being in the engine business i know that is not true (many of the 2010-2011 hyundai and kia with the 3.5 v6 make that noise at cold start up but not all of them...
I will bring it back to the dealer for them to listen and tell me that it is normal again just to have it on record...I figure it has a ten year 100,000 mile warrantee so its on them either way...

They're far from the only ones with *that* problem. It'd be a lot different if they were the only one that did.

I would say 04 and up would be a good choice. If you get a Sonata make sure it has the 5 lug tires not the 4.
Ken

this is not piston slap it sounds like bad bearings i will do an oil sample on it and know something then...
it can also be loud vvt noise or just a bad design and either no anti drainback valve or a bad one...I have had no time to look into this i figure it has a 100,000 mile warantee on it so let hyundai deal with it...All i know is if we built engines that sound like that we would be out of business...All we do are engines..It figures i have this noisy one lol

Hyundai's and Kia's are very sensitive to the oil filter used.
OEM is a good filter. You need a filter with good flow do
to the design of their oiling systems.
Ken

explain...what other engines make that noise on cold start up?

Four, without even researching it.

GM 5.3, 6.0
Ford 5.4
Subaru 2.5

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
explain...what other engines make that noise on cold start up?

Four, without even researching it.

GM 5.3, 6.0
Ford 5.4
Subaru 2.5

GM 3.1 V-6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back