7.3L PSD UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the first UOA I've done on my truck using Polaris Labs. It came out pretty good as they usually do. In the past, I had some coolant getting into my oil from a leaking water pump dripping on a leaky pan gasket but that seems to be better. The engine has about 420,200 miles and the oil had about 10,300 miles. I used Service Pro 15w-40 with 2 quarts of Hot Shot's Secret which is where the Moly came from. The previous oil change, I used Schaeffer's 7000 with some of their Moly EP additive which is where I think the antimony came from.

Iron 32
Chrome 1
Ni 1
Al 2
Cop 8
Sil 5
Sod 3
Pot 5
Moly 45
Ant 19
Bor 25
Mag 913
Cal 1478
Phos 1031
Zn 1221

Soot Water Vis100c13.4
TBN 5.83
Ox 13
Nit 18

Even though it runs and starts good, I did a compression test a few weeks ago trying to figure out why my blowby and oil usage both seem high and my numbers were a little low, around 300 psi at each cylinder, so I was a little surprised that the nitration number wasn't higher. I used Delo 10w-30 this oil change because I've read here how well that grade works in HEUI engines and so far seems to be working real well. I used the Delo because we had a couple gallons around so I only needed a little for the oil change. If I use all the Delo up, I may switch to a Kendall 10w-30 I can get for a little less.

Yea, the 300psi is low. Has it been worked hard and/or neglected in the past. I have run PSDs on the ranch since I was 13 and worked them REAL hard the 99' DRW 6spd had 331k when we sold it. It had 550psi, just a hint of blow by, but I used Rotella 5w40 after it had about 50k on the clock... Used wix air filters and greased the contact points... It used 1qt per 5k. THAT was a good truck, wish we still had it.. 420k that just breaking in a PSD.. Google Bill Hewitt or powerstroke help if you have questions. I actually called him a few times and he was great, very knowledgable.
Dusty

Last edited:
I bought the truck used, with 160,000 miles back in Feb. of 2000. There was a period, somewhere around 300,000 when I had most the leaks fixed, etc. that it hardly used any oil. Since I've had it, I've used quality oil and either Wix/Napa filters or most recently ( last six years maybe ) Fleetguard filters and, other than the small amount of coolant I mentioned, I've always had good UOA results. Maybe its those cold Michigan winters taking their toll.

I used to run a Fleetguard LF777 bypass oil filter but I recently took it off. I also run an LF9691 venturi combo primary filter which has a bypass section built into it that has the same filter media as the LF777 does so I felt the seperate bypass filter was a little unnecessary, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Last edited:
It's good to see someone buy a vehicle and then keep it for a long time and maintain it. It really pays off in the long run vs just trading it in every 3 or 4 years. When you take care of things you'll find that you'll avoid many problems down the line.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Nice, boring UOA. Just the way you want it.

420k miles and still running. Gotta love that ol' 7.3P SD.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back